Edit Scriv projects on my tablet?

Hi Folks,

I wasn’t sure where to put this (as it isn’t exactly a wish list thing and it’s not exactly Scrivener support) so mods feel free to move it if you wish.

I have a Nexus 7 tablet. I know that Android isn’t support and it’s been on the wish list…

In the meantime, without using a remote meeting solution (remote desktop, LogmeIn etc), is it possible to edit Scriv projects on the fly?

Mine are currently in my dropbox folder and I could do some decent editing on here without having to lug my laptop around with me.

It can be done. I use a Nexus 7 and have the sync folder from Scrivener (not the main folder) in Dropbox. I then access that from my Nexus 7 using a very nice app called Draft (which also has md capability) but you could also use Jota+ or even the built in DB editor that will be a choice when you select a file. It’s all plain text, but it works very well.

I use the Swiftkey keyboard: it now knows all of my likely fat-finger incidents and is pretty quick.

I wouldn’t mess with the main rtf project files on DB though.

Cheers,

Eric

Our proposed environment is the same - Nexus 7 and swiftkey with dropbpox.

However having just had a play with Jota+ I realise that’s not what I want to do. What I want to do is work on the MS not edit XML…

Unless of course I’ve missed something obvious?

I don’t want to edit XML either - but that doesn’t happen here. Most nights I sit on the sofa with my Nexus reading through the words I wrote at my desk during the day - not a code element anywhere.

What files are you syncing/opening? I thought the sync files were just plain text (maybe this is an option you have to tick somewhere).

Just checked: you do - File/Sync/with External Folder

The Draft app for the Nexus is probably better than Jota+ (I now use Draft, I used to use Jota, but can’t remember why I changed). Or to begin with just see if DB still gives you the option of its own editor.

I think a problem here is that antihippy is a Windows user, there is no such folder synchronisation system on the Windows version yet. This procedure must be performed manually, which is done via File/Export/Files... and then either copy and paste or File/Import/Files... on the intake side. It’s exactly the same as folder sync, just by hand instead of automated.

Okidoki - sorry, my fault: I didn’t notice that, and I didn’t realise there was a difference like this between the versions.

Hi There,

Thanks for clearing that up - it makes much more sense now.

So from the project I must export the RTF to a location and then re-import it later?

That makes sense even if it is extremely tedious! ha ha.

Dr Dog - thanks for your help too. It is good to know that some people have been working on their tablets. My aim is to free myself from my laptop at work so I can use the portable Nexus when I am there and don’t want to be sat at my desk (or want to unhook my lappy from my external monitors and cabling…).

Yes I am a Windows User (actually soon a Linux user … maybe).

Well! Presumably you would not be editing several hundred files on the go. What I did back before the automation was developed on the Mac was just rename my files by adding a space to the beginning of the name if they had been edited. This, on a Mac anyway, pushes the file to the top of the list in the file manager. There may be another trick that works better on Windows, or one can just look at the modification date. At any rate, copying and pasting three or four modified files isn’t that much of a chore.

Whatever format you can edit comfortably on your Nexus. The external files are just there for your mobile benefit. Most people put these on Dropbox or something, so they can be edited freely from anywhere.

Sorry for the delay coming back to this thread.

I’ve tried editing exported Docs and Rtfs on my nexus but they never seem to be formatted correctly. I always see extra lines of code. I’ve tried using a couple of text editors to open them to no avail.

So I wonder if anyone has a recommendation or a special trick they use?

Also tried exporting as a word (doc) format file. The formatting in that also isn’t great and my device seems to think it’s actually RTF…

It would help a lot to know which text editors you are using. You might have more luck with plain-text files on a mobile, there aren’t many good RTF capable word processors out there for mobiles. Is there a free editor I can use to test this problem using an Android VM?

Hi Amber,

I know what you’re saying however I very specifically decided to not go down that route. I was interested in seeing what everyone else had successfully used rather than having them focus on what I had already done.

For example if someone has said I am using Kingsoft Office to edit a Scriv Word Doc I would have been intrigued because that didn’t work for me for RTFs.

But I was hoping I’d read, “Aha, I use Whizzy RTF editor! it works a treat.” I would have gone straight out and used it.

I take your point about using text files and that’s fine for my creative writing projects. I do also use Scriv at work and while I am there I might like to add bullets or whatever to the document.

So here’s a couple of editors I’ve tried for both RTF and DOC: Jota (and Jota+), Kingsoft Office, Documents to go and DB text editor (if that’s what it’s called).

Interestingly document viewer in Android renders the files correctly.

Just out of interest, I regularly export parts of my manuscript from scrivener using the compile function. I transfer them to my Nexus 7 (you can use dropbox, or an app like File Expert which can run an FTP server). Once there I edit the RTF using a paid work processor Softmaker Office. It’s in the App store. There are very few android word processors that read/wqrite rtf, and none that are free.

Once I transfer the file back to my main machine, I can either open it in word and copy/paste into the appropriate sprt in scrivener, or if I’ve been reworking passages, and not sure I can find them all, use MS Word to doc compare the new file with the original. You have to put them in different directories or rename the original for this to work.

I’d prefer a full blown scrivener for android, but this process works for me.

David