Editable styles and link formatting

I am thinking of using Scrivener as a tool to develop games. Have been enjoying what it can do, but a few things that I need to do seem more difficult than I would like. What would you think of adding these sorts of features:

• An easier way to create styles. I see that there are styles for screenwriting. I have my own particular style sheets I have to use, but I can’t figure out how to create them. Instead I’m using the “copy style” and “paste style” buttons all the time.

• An ability to edit the title and/or format of a link. I use a lot of links in my research section—character entries that link to plot entries or location entries, etc. I often put a lot of extra information, such as variables, tags, or bits of code into a section title. When I drop that into another document to create a link, I want it to read naturally in the document. For example, right now, something that would normally read, “From there, the PC will probably visit John at the Main Tavern to talk about the Seamonster quest” becomes “From there, the PC will probably visit <John Smith, Captain of the Ship (tag:=CaptainJohn)> at the to talk about the <Killing The Seamonster (tag:=Seamonster_01).” Still legible, but not quite as nice to read. Maybe a “make links inactive” function, during which time the link text could be edited without changing the link’s function.

Thanks for listening. I appreciate the tremendous amount of work involved in putting together a program like this. Having fun pushing it to its limits. :wink: posting.php?mode=post&f=4#

In reference to the first point, see the FAQ for some notes on styles. You might find what you need is already there—unless of course you are looking for retrospectively updating semantic styles.

For #2, you can make any bit of text into a link. After you drag and drop, you can always edit the link text after it is made (hint, use the arrow keys, and link format works like bold; if you want to extend the text you’ll have to leave a dummy character on the end, type out, and then delete the dummy character)—that is one way. You can also turn any range of text into a link. Just select it, right-click, and choose Scrivener Link (down at the bottom of the menu) and select the target. So you could always type the text first, then link it.

As for styles, the next update improves this a bit… Making them more editable at least. I’ve provided my own layer on top of the Apple styles system which means you can create and edit styles (or at least, redefine them from the selection). However, they aren’t the same as “true” styles in most word processors, which also update existing text; they only apply to what is selected. Scrivener won’t support “true” styles because there can be hundreds of text documents in one project, all of which would need updating by a style change, which would both be slow and necessarily done whilst the user couldn’t see the documents, meaning that the user could come back to a document later only to find its formatting is entirely different to what he or she had expected. So, still basic, but more flexible in the next update.
All the best,
Keith

It would be really awesome if Scrivener’s new styles (including the ones chosen in the preferences) remember the typography settings that the OS font palette offers but only allows to apply and not to save.

I’m not quite sure what you mean… Could you explain more?

In the OS font palette you can chose a font family, a font, a font size, font colour, etc.

In all programs using the Apple TextEngine you can save these settings as a default in the preferences.

But more settings are possible: The font palette contains a sub-palette called Typography (at least that’s my guess; in the German OS it is called Typographie). For example it has a section called Number Case where you can choose Old-Style Numbers.

If you tick this option you will have old-style numbers starting from the cursor position or if a text portion was highlighted all numbers in the highlighted area will change to old-style.

But it is impossible to save this setting – it just gets alzheimerized which means you have to set them in every new text again.

Ah, I see what you mean. I just tried this, and that seemed to get remembered with the (very basic) styles system I set up for Scrivener (whether it was “Old Style” or “Lining Style” for the Arno font got remembered between sessions when applying the style to a new section of text). That said, the typography got remembered when I saved a style using the OS X text system’s default styles, too. I saved font and ruler in my text (typography is a feature of the font, so the font needs to be saved, I think).
Best,
Keith

Christ, you’re right, number cases are saved with the styles already!

I didn’t know that. I am so sure I tried it when I bought an OpenType font containing old-style figures a few weeks ago and it did not work. Maybe the last OS update …?

But it still does only work with the styles in the rulers’s pull down menu. Typography settings are still not saved when you choose a font via the font and typography palette in a program’s preferences.

If Scrivener could learn to do that … that would be so fine.