Edited Collection, Chicago Format Multiple Endnotes

Hello!
My apologies if this question has already been answered (and if it has, could someone direct me to the correct thread?)

I am editing a collection of non-fiction essays for a UK press and they are requesting that all eight essays be set into a single document in accordance to the 16th edition of the Chicago Manual, “Notes and Bibliography,” Style (particular to the field of humanities). However, I seem to be having difficulties in two areas:

1. I have the essays already saved as individual .docx files in the correct style with endnotes, however when I import them into Scrivener, the endnotes seems to disappear from the body of the paper? After importing, I can click on the essay I need and I can see the endnotes in a column on the right hand side of the screen but they seem to disappear entirely form the Manuscript when I compile it and save it as a PDF (or rtf) on my desktop…

(which could be related to the second part of my query…)

1. Essentially what I need is to make a book in which each essay serves as its own “Chapter” and each of these chapters needs to have its own set of endnotes (in other words, the endnotes for all eight essays cannot be complied together at the end of the entire manuscript). Is this project possible to do with Scrivener? Perhaps this is just a “settings” or document setup issue I’m not familiar with?

Thank you kindly for any help you can provide.

• Lola

In answer to your first question, this is normal behavior. Scrivener has recognized the notes from your .DOCX file and converted them to Scrivener-style “linked” notes. That’s what it’s supposed to do, the issue is in getting them back out: your second question.

In the File -> Compile -> Footnotes/Comments pane, when compiling for PDF (Publishing) format, you’ll see an option to “Group Footnotes.” I think setting this option to “before page breaks” will accomplish what you want.

Katherine

Katherine,
Thank you so much for taking the time to get back to me. I’m going to give your approach a try and let you know when it works. Thanks!!
-Lola