Editing Directly on Thumb Drive

Now that I have my new MacBook Air (2018, yay) I’m going to be using Scrivener away from home sometimes. I’ve talked about thumb drive strategies before, but I’d like to revisit it because the Thunderbolt interface seems pretty fast.

I’m thinking that I’ll copy the project folder (including Aeon Timeline files) to a thumb drive, and then edit directly on that thumb drive. That is, I won’t copy the project onto the MacBook’s drive.

I’ve tried it, and there doesn’t seem to be any problem with speed. Does anyone do this? Any disadvantages?

Thanks,

Al

Barring any seriously compelling reason not to, I would always choose the faster, more reliable storage for my live projects (lots of delicate moving parts) and the slower, less reliable storage for my zipped backups (one moving part).

What’s your goal in keeping the projects on the thumb drive? Convenience?

You can’t accidentally remove your internal drive while Scrivener is running.

Katherine

Al,

Before I moved to syncing via DropBox, I used to use a thumb drive to transfer projects when I was working on multiple PCs.

In case this gives you some ideas, my method was to only keep zipped backups on the thumb drive.

The process was:
Do work on PC1, with the live Scrivener project running off the local hard drive. Copy PC1’s last zipped backup to the thumb drive.

On PC2, copy & extract the zipped backup from the thumb drive to the local hard drive. Work on the project. Then copy PC2’s last zipped backup to the thumb drive.

Go back to PC1, copy & extract the last zipped backup from the thumb drive to the local hard drive, etc.

What I liked about this method was that it’s still super convenient, but minimal risk of the thumb drive somehow botching up a project.

HTH,
Jim

Thanks, Jim. That’s what I’ll do (Amber said she has a similar technique).

My goal was to eliminate two copying steps, but I agree this method is better. The danger of removing the thumb drive at the wrong time is too great.