Editing/removing keyboard shortcuts

Thing is, some of the functions I use more often have weird keyboard shortcuts which are not very easy to remember and use. I wanted to edit some of them. All existing shortcuts can be seen via Tools -> Options -> Keyboard. So far so good. But when I try to reassign the function another shortcut it gets written in red. That means that this particular shortcut is being used by another function.

Like I said, the list is very long. Two thirds of those functions I won’t be using via shortcuts (or possibly at all). I’d like to customize them. However, it seems that I cannot just remove a shortcut from some function I don’t use often and thus leave it shortcut-less, so to speak. Seems like I can only assign another shortcut to, therefore freeing its original shortcut for use with my function of choice. Doesn’t seem very convenient. Or am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to remove a shortcut for a function completely, the way the PDF group of shortcuts is listed? And if there is, how do I go about doing it?

Thanks beforehand! :slight_smile:

You’re right, this isn’t currently doable, but I’ve put it down as a feature request since you have a good point, so unless there’s a code-specific reason why that’s difficult, I don’t think it should be a problem to work this in. In the meanwhile, just make up a random shortcut you’d never use, and you can use a conflicting shortcut for all those “unused” ones since it won’t matter. Keyboard shortcuts can be sequences as well, so you could link a string of commands together that you’ll never really type accidentally and then just set that for the shortcut on all the menu items whose real shortcuts you want to free up for your own reassignment.

Thank you! Guess I’ll have to use your workaround until this is fixed.