Editing Scrivener 'sync' files on iPad, laptops

If you like to edit your Scrivener files on another platform such as your iPad, I may have something that will help. I’ve made some ‘bundles’ and themes for the TextMate editor (OSX) and the Textastic editor on the iPad that improve the display of inline annotations, comments and block-quotes synced text files. I’ve included mark-up, too, for some common grammar problems.

More here: petergallagher.com.au/index.php/ … sync-files

Best,

Peter

Nice write-up! I wouldn’t set aside Emacs and Vim so lightly, however. Those editors have huge and loyal followings for good reasons, and they are also modern editors, not dinosaurs. They continue to be developed and refined to this day. A proficiency in either of those will give you text editing powers that nothing else even approaches. I guess it is fair to say they are not friendly to new users, but they are very friendly to experienced users—which is all that really matters for software like this that you live in.

One other thing (not relevant to iOS): you should check out Sublime Edit. It’s the TextMate of this decade in my opinion, and it’s cross-platform as well. It does a lot of things I really like, such as returning global search results as a plain-text buffer instead of a GUI list. Brilliant for this particular application. I also really like how all of its configuration is done with text files, and changes made to those files are reflected immediately within the software.

Thank you AmberV (Ioa),

Of course, it doesn’t matter what editor you use, if it gets the job done. If I’d been able to devise syntax coloring for Scrivener text files in BBEdit’s so-called “codeless language modules” I would have done so.

And then, there is no end of disputing over text editors. I suspect 50% of all forum entries all over the Internet are weighed down by such midrash. Like most users I’ve tried everthing (including Emacs, Vim and SublimeText). I have spent far too much time trying to make Vim/Emacs conform to what I want to do rather than submitting myself to the way they do it. I describe them as ‘dinasaurs’ not because they are “jurassic” (which however they are), but because they are giant brainless lizards with brutish malice toward prose writers. (Oh dear: I hope I’m not being offensive… :wink: )

Best,

Peter

I will accept your complaint that they are vicious monsters. :slight_smile:

(And I also wouldn’t be surprised if velociraptors invented the first version of vi, purely to spite (the obviously Apple ][ using) stegosaurs.)

:smiley: Your palaeontology is perfect.Well done!

By the way: I take your point, too, about Sublime Text. I see it’s going to V3 soon. Since TextMate theme files (and patterns?) can be used in Sublime, it maybe time to look at it again.

By the way (bis): Speaking of 3’s… if you have any influence with Keith on design issues for Scrivener 3 may I ask you to suggest to him that it would be nice if user-specified formats (such as, for example, preserved styles) could be associated with a user-specified tag-wrapper in the text rendering of a file. This would allow all sorts of extra-Scrivener loveliness. So, for example, I’d like to have a tag wrapper for block-quotes and a different wrapper for pull-quotes and text-boxes, each of which I can define as ‘preserved’ styles in Scrivener.

Best,

Peter