Editor formatting

A few aspects of editor formatting are driving me nuts.

I have some specific but non-complex editing preferences, ways I have worked for years and prefer. I like my editing background black, my text green, using the Inconsolata font. I appear to have gotten this set up properly in Scrivener using the excellent main text style tool in the formatting preferences pane. This morning I pasted over the text in one of my documents with text from another. At first I had a black background and text. I could see the text when I highlighted. When I applied the default style to the document, I ended up with green text on a white background. So far I’ve wasted over three quarters of an hour writing time trying to fix this.

I guess my question is simple: how do I bring new material into Scrivener and keep my editing preferences, or if I foul something up, how do I make my background black and my text green again? This has proven to be very difficult, and I must be missing something.

Thanks!

To bring stuff in and keep the target formatting, use Paste and Match Style instead of just Paste.

I’m not sure why you ended up with a white background - the editor background can’t change colour unless you change it in the preferences. Did you actually change the editor background colour or only the highlight colour?

All the best,
Keith

I thought about the highlight color vs. editor background as well…but the page background is definitely set to black in preferences. That being said, I deleted the document and recreated it, using “Paste and match style” and it worked as expected. Thanks for your help!