Editorial Calendar; Invoicing

I love Scrivener. I would like to see it become a one-stop workplace for the self-employed writer.

Writers use several software applications to do their job–e-mail, Scrivener or other word processor, invoicing, and then some sort of calendar–whether it be Outlook or a pen and paper planner. A software that puts all, or most, of these functions together would be immensely helpful.

Each morning, the writer opens up Scrivener and leaves it open all day to drive their workflow. Upon opening, to a “Home” Screen, an auto-generated “To Do” list pops up with all the writer’s upcoming projects and deadlines. This is pulled from the editorial calendar that she jots assignments down in as they come in. The editorial calendar also stores editors names and contact info, so that everything she needs to know about that assignment can pop up with a click.

She can click on a task in the “To Do List” to generate a project file, and then she works from Scrivener to write it.

When she submits it, it is stored in her “open assignments list” where it waits until she hears back from the editor. As e-mails from editors come in, she can mark the project as “rewrite” or “approved.” Once she marks it “approved,” she is prompted to create an invoice based on the client profile stored in the editorial calendar.

A simple invoicing function within Scrivener produces a PDF invoice file. The project stays in the open assignments list as “Invoiced-Waiting for Payment.” Once the payment comes in, she can mark the invoice as “Paid,” which takes the project off her open assignments list, and into a Closed Assignments list.

At points during the life cycle of a piece, reminders come up, “Rewrite Project X in 3 days” etc. Late invoices appear on the “To List” on the “Home” screen, reminding the writer to follow up before beginning the day’s work.

A lot of this is possible through use of MS Outlook, but I personally get overwhelmed by Outlook. It is a pretty powerful software, and so much of it is irrelevant to me, that I have a hard time making it part of my routine. I mainly just use it for e-mail.

Since Scrivener is specifically designed for writers, I think it could be customized to meet the business and organizational needs of writers as well.