Eight Questions: The series continues!

Some of you may recall that my website has an ongoing interview series called 8Qs, where professionals working in the world of writing and publishing answer the same eight questions.

Previous entries in the series were:
June 2013: Literature and Latte (the team that brought you Scrivener and Scapple)
October 2013: Michael Bywater (journalist and celebrated essayist)
December 2013: D. P. Lyle (author and medical story consultant)
February 2014: Michael A. Arnzen (Bram Stoker winning horror writer and educator)

Following on from those is another name which might be familiar to some of the more regular visitors to this forum: James R Babb, the editor of Gray’s Sporting Journal who has been known to sail the waters of the forum under the Melvillian moniker Ahab…

March 2014: James R. Babb (magazine editor and contributor)

I hope you enjoy it!

It’s not too hard to think of Ahab sitting on the bay hauling lobster traps. Odd, since the only real clue to both his previous occupations and lifestyle are the online name and subtle hints provided here and there.

Thank you mr piggy for another insight into the scriveneratti.

Thanks Jaysen, and of course thanks to Ahab too for letting me reveal his secret identity after all this time.

I should say as well that Ahab’s email correspondence in the run up entertained further with his intelligent wit. I will be watching carefully for when the novel hits the shelves. :smiley:

Frankly, if I could’ve sat on the bay hauling lobster traps, I’d never have migrated into publishing. I’d have established a religion. Lots of money in that these days, with flexible hours and no heavy lifting.

See, I adhere to the “literal is not figurative” camp philosophy that believes figurative language should be assumed in all cases unless a literal directive is given. In other words, never take anything I type literally. Unless I suggest you take it literally. But then I typed literally so it might be figurative example in a literal sense. See what I mean?

You could not pay me enough to lobster, crap, or pot fish of any kind. That is real work and I have a distinct dislike of real work. A literal dislike of real work. Figurative work is good enough for me. I can literally do figurative work for days on end. Years even.

But I digress. Although it is fun to think of Mr K’s brain explosion should he read the above…

When I lobster-fished I literally didn’t sit down from the time I crawled out of the pickup truck about daylight, until I crawled back into it around 4pm, six days a week from mid-July through November. Now I sit pretty much all day, from dawn till dusk, year-round, and my friends who’re still lobstering look and act 10 years younger than me. Go figure, figuratively speaking.

Literally 10 years younger? Or is that merely a figurative yardstick…er, dimensional whatnot?

The problem with this 8Qs series is that every now and again an individual interview will get a sudden rush of visits and I have to spend about an hour on google trying to satisfy myself that they haven’t died or been arrested.

The rumors of my death are greatly exaggerated. And I haven’t been arrested since 1968, when absolutely everyone who was anyone was being arrested.

Good to know. It doesn’t feel polite to email and just come out and ask it. :smiley:

I’m glad this thread has been resurrected, because I somehow missed it the first time round. I’m also glad that there has been no need to resurrect Ahab himself! Great interview – thank you to both Pigfender and Ahab.

My resurrections tend toward the aquatic–lots of eye-rolling and beckoning toward the deep with an occasional reemergence for air (not mine).

You can reenact this at home in a bathtub, using an empty bleach bottle stuck strategically with those plastic-pantalooned toothpicks that scaffold geologically unstable sandwiches. With some thin twine (preferably tarred marline), lash on a Star Wars action figure of the bearded Hoth Rebel variety, and commence porpoising. Bonus points if the arm moves.

It’s hours of fun for the whole family, and Terribly Symbolic as well. Though I forget of what.

Thus bringing my deep discomfort of fishing to the sanctity of my own home.

Ahab did the hard work. My creative input was finished way back in June 2013. :smiley: But, yes he did do rather well, didn’t he.

Ahab’s a hard act to follow, of course, but the next instalment of the 8Qs series went live this morning. He’s not a member of the Scriveneratti (to the best of my knowledge), but I thought I’d post it here in case some of you have heard of him.

April 2014: Lee Child (bestselling novelist)