El Capitan

I can’t open Scrivener since installing El Capitan. It immediately crashes. I tried installing Scrivener beta 2.6.5 but that hasn’t helped. I’m pretty scared that I’ve made a major blunder by installing El Capitan, but I’ve heard others say Scrivener will run on it.

Any ideas what I can try?

Here’s the first bit of the crash report:
Process: Scrivener [2969]
Path: /Users/USER/Downloads/Scrivener.app/Contents/MacOS/Scrivener
Identifier: com.literatureandlatte.scrivener2
Version: 2.6.5 (2.6.5)
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: Scrivener [2969]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2015-09-19 16:19:07.237 -0600
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.11 (15A215h)
Report Version: 11
Anonymous UUID: C7CC7E17-6A1C-4DF7-3388-4F044B6357FD

Sleep/Wake UUID: E5E72F52-778E-44F6-85EB-B8C480AB617A

Time Awake Since Boot: 6800 seconds

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000001
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

VM Regions Near 0x1:
–>
__TEXT 0000000000001000-000000000036a000 [ 3492K] r-x/rwx SM=COW /Users/USER/Downloads/Scrivener.app/Contents/MacOS/Scrivener

Application Specific Information:
objc_msgSend() selector name: boolValue
CFRunLoopPerformBlock invoking 0x9b7cca71

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

I was able to get it running by unchecking Contacts in Privacy, as has been noted in other posts. Thanks.

that issue has been fixed a while ago. you should be able to run scrivener with el cap and having access to contacts, as i do. but i am afraid i can’t remember how it was fixed. i thought it was fixed within scrivener, but clearly can’t be the case if you are having problems

The problem with the 32-bit applications crashing was fixed by Apple in a supplemental update to El Capitan a while ago. 15A215h is out of date; updating to the latest OS X 10.11 release should fix the issue.

The latest one is the Golden Master of El Capitan. I am not even sure that the older versions of El Capitan are downloadable now. So, I assume the OP is running the GM version. But it makes little sense that Scrivener crashes on the GM version and works by unchecking contacts, because as you said, that was an issue with one of the early public beta builds and fixed a while ago. I am puzzled

mhovley’s crash log states the OS version: “OS Version: Mac OS X 10.11 (15A215h)” That’s public beta 1 which had the known issues, which is why Jennifer said to update.

All the best,
Keith

ah, makes sense now

I had never tried before to use the novel split screen feature in El Cap with Scrivener, and I see that it doesn’t work. Even some Apple apps just got the feature, which makes me think that perhaps it’s not so easy to implement. Is there any plan to get Scrivener to split the screen with another app as implemented in El Cap?

I didn’t have any issues splitting a screen between Scrivener and, say, Firefox. How are you attempting to do this? I just moved one program to full screen, then dragged the second program into its tile in Mission Control to combine them.

you are right, i should have edited my post. there are two ways of doing split screen in el cap, one is by holding the green button of an app, until it occupies half screen, and then clicking on the other app you want to occupy the other half of the screen. this system does not work with scrivener. perhaps this systems works only with apple apps? not sure. it did work for me in the past with apple apps

the other way to split screen is what you describe, and that works fine with scrivener

Okay, I see what you mean. I’ve made note of it, thanks.

For Mail signatures, you have to open preferences in Mail, and drag (add) the signature to the Mail account. For some reason the system retained my signatures but separated them from my Mail account, so I had to add them back. Hope this helps. hulle6.com

lg nexus 5x handyhülle

Sure! BTW, since I am at it, and rather unrelated: is the intended behavior that when I am in full screen I can’t import anything but Scrivener projects in my open project? In full screen (and I believe I saw this before El Cap), when I go to File > Import, everything is greyed out except Scrivener Project. I don’t see why it should be that way

Do you have the Binder hidden or in slide-out mode? I recall that doesn’t work well with functions that require a Binder selection. If you temporarily Opt-Cmd-B to display it in the main window that should do the trick.

yeah, that does it! thanks. still, it should be able to have that feature working also with hidden binders, right?

It isn’t so much a matter of right or wrong, it’s just a technical limitation.