Element formats not saved

Many thanks for a great app. Been using it for several commercial projects and now I’m commissioned to write what in the olden days would be a ‘radio play’ but today is a fictional podcast. :slight_smile: As usual, Scrivener is my tool of choice, not the least because of the iOS app so I can write on my iPad on the go, and that’s when and how I caught the bug.

  1. Create a new project using the template for BBC radio drama.
  2. Save it in your Dropbox folder for Scrivener syncing. (In my case Dropbox/Apps/Scrivener)
  3. Write a scene or two in Scrivener on Mac, save and close the project.
  4. Open the Scrivener app on your iPad.
  5. It will ask you to sync so do it.
  6. Open the project in question and write some more. (Preferably using good dialogue.)
  7. Sync and close.
  8. Open the project on your Mac and discover that… ouch, all the elements have been and are now ‘General Text’!
  9. Do some troubleshooting - change to the proper elements and save.
  10. Open the project on your iMac (in this scenario you happen to have a 12 inch Macbook and a iMac desktop), just to discover that the elements have been changed there too! It’s not an ‘iOS problem’, it’s also replicable by opening the project on different computers.
  11. Name the bug: Element formats are not saved. When you open your project on different machines, what used to be - for instance - ‘Character name and dialogue’ is just ‘General Text’.

Thanks for the report. The problem is that I added some new settings to 3.1 which have not made it into the iOS version yet and which affect the radio script format. For 3.1 I added the ability to set a minimum number of tabs for a script element, and updated the radio script format to use a minimum of 10 for the “Character & Dialogue” element. But this means that if you open a script created in 3.1 on iOS, or in an older version of Scrivener on another computer, “Character & Dialogue” will not be recognised because those other versions don’t expect the extra tabs.

I have now fixed this for the next update of the iOS version (which is loooong overdue). In the meantime, you could work around this by removing the tabs from your formats, like this:

  1. On the Mac version, go to Format > Scriptwriting > Script Settings…

  2. Select “Character & Dialogue” on the left.

  3. Select the “Paragraph” tab on the right.

  4. Click on “Options…”.

  5. Set “Minimum number of tabs” to “0”. (You might also need to set the default tab interval to ½", because while looking into this I also found a bug whereby the iOS version does not read this setting properly.)

Let Scrivener update the existing text in the project when you click “OK”.

After this, you shouldn’t have any problems syncing between the Mac and iOS versions. As I say, there will be a fix coming in the next iOS update, too, but I still have a bit of work to do on that, so this should get you up and running in the meantime.

All the best,
Keith

Many thanks for the reply, and - as always - also many thanks for a fantastic software.

(Now my only lingering wish is to be able to invite cowriters and editor in my document so they can edit or comment. After all, writing - especially tv or radio drama - is a truly collaborative activity! :slight_smile: )