Ellipses preference odd behavior (2.0b)

Keith would you clarify the recommended settings for automatic em-dashes?

As I understand it, you can EITHER set the double hyphen as em-dash in System Preferences/Language and Text/Text AND/OR you can set it in Scrivener. What’s the best practice?

Right now, I have System Preferences em-dash OFF and Scrivener em-dash ON.

And despite what an earlier poster has claimed, I cannot get the em-dash to appear UNLESS I TYPE A SPACE after it…and the em-dash is never surrounded by spaces in correct usage. I can go to somewhere in a text and type a double hyphen and nothing will happen until I go somewhere else and hit a space. Yet when I type a double hyphen and then a word after it, an em-dash appears after some moments.

My main concern is if I revise a text by inserting em-dashes, that they won’t “take” when compiling my draft.

You don’t need to type a space - any letter will do. It works the same as in other Apple applications (it is Apple’s code, in fact).

It doesn’t even have to be a letter. It’s anything. Type two hyphens and hit return–

By the way, it’s a moot point, but spaced em-dashes are used in some style systems. I grew up with no spaces, but there are plenty of people who insist otherwise. :slight_smile:

I’d love to put a warning in the manual, but haven’t read the entire thread, could someone give me a simple summary of what the issue is? Is it just waiting for the typography to adjust?

I think this is the executive summary that describes the issue with brevity :slight_smile:

Eddy

I think rvdparis was talking about something different - about how em-dashes get created.
Best,
Keith