embedded todo list?

Hi!

I’m hoping there’s a way to do something like create an embedded to do list in Scrivener.

I’m just getting started with Scrivener, writing a book for people who are rehabbing and starting to use old knitting machines. First (partial!) draft will go to people on Tuesday, when I teach a class to a bunch of friends. Wheee! Nothing like a little pressure to keep my keyboard clattering.

Anyway. My task for the morning is to take a bunch of photos to support the text. I have made notes throughout the document that all start with “###” and are highlighted. My manuscript currently looks like this:

I’ve used “###” for years as my symbol in manuscripts for places I need to add or modify something.

It occurred to me as I was reading through the draft cutting and pasting all of these to a list so I could take the photos that there was probably a better way to do this, and I just don’t know how. Surely someone else has wanted to leave themselves notes inline about changes that need to be made, and then look at just the change list later as a sort of to do list?

Is there such a feature? Bonus points if I can kludge my ### notes into it, but really just having a better way to do this in the future would be a huge improvement!

Thanks for any help.

-jennifer

I think that ultimately the feature you are looking for is “Inline Annotations” (found in the Format menu, or by toggling with Shift-Cmd-A, much as you would toggle bold or italic formatting while typing).

Also shown is the Edit/Find/Find by Formatting panel, which is a multi-purpose tool, and in this case is demonstrating how you can search for inline annotations only containing a particular string of characters—your ‘###’ todo mark in this case. The Find by Formatting panel can leap from document to document, unlike typical Find which is constrained to the document(s) you are editing. So it is useful as a way of locating certain types of notes to yourself, strung out through dozens of files, and in this case it would have highlighted the annotation that the arrow is pointing to, but not the one above it which does not have the ‘###’ sequence within it. If that were the only annotation here, the document would have been skipped over entirely by the tool.

Another nice feature of inline annotations is that being designed as comments, they are easily stripped out of the compiled copy (and indeed are by default).

I turned them all into comments. That way I can just pull up the comments panel to see what’s left, and they aren’t compiled in. :slight_smile: