empty word database and hyphenation

Dear community,

I start a new topic here because in my “old one” (“automatic spell control for german language?”) my two new questions won’t fit anymore. :astonished:

:question: First question:

Can I start with a word database completely empty?

My dictionary learns a lot, but there are so many nonsense-word suggestions that I’d rather prefer to delete the database and start with a complete blank one, teatching it every word I want but be sure there are no longer such misspelled oder nonsense suggetions (words that really don’t exist).

:question: Second question: Is there any possibility to get an automatic ( information technology ) auto-hyphenation in Scrivener? When I write my text, not just using “justifier” instead of left bound text, it looks terrible if not divided.

1 Like

I’m not sure if this will do what you want, but I use the free, open-source Autohotkey for all of my spell corrections. (autohotkey.com/net/). You can build your own dictionary or start with one they provide that contains many of the common mis-spellings. One of the benefits is that it works across all applications, instead of being only for Scrivener. I use it exclusively for all my auto-corrections. It doesn’t, however, flag your mis-spellings for you to review (at least not out-of-the-box, but there may be a script out there that does this - there’s hundreds of user-written scripts available for authotkey through their website). There’s a bit of a learning curve, but I’ve found it to be invaluable. Hope this helps!

I am not sure if it does what I want, either, but I would love to try it out - I find it actually under autohotkey.com, but phew, I think I will need plenty of time to understand what they want me to do with it, especially because I’m not a programmer at all (and my technical english is not available at all, too :wink: ).
But thank you nevertheless, maybe a friend of mine can help me to understand this gibberish :laughing:

Yes, it does take a bit of a learning curve, and like most open source you have to be willing to invest some time. However, it’s not as daunting as it looks - if you spend a little time you can quickly figure out how to write a simple script to auto-correct words and do other simple tasks.

However, there’s an even easier way. I’ve attached a zip file that contains an AHK script someone wrote several years ago. The first part of the script is fairly complex, because it sets up a hotkey that lets you easily create text replacements. But you don’t need to understand it, you just need to know how to use the script once it’s running, and that’s very easy. So, install Autohotkey and make sure it’s running. Then double click on the attached file, which will run the script. This automatically sets up corrections for about 4700 commonly mis-spelled words. (You can delete some or all of these by editing the lower part of the script, where the replacements are defined.)

If you highlight a word in any application, then hold down the Windows key and press the H key, a dialog will pop up where you can create a replacement for the word. For example, if I typed exmple, then highlighted it and pressed Win+h, I’d get a dialog that has this in it: ::exmple::exmple. Now all I would have to do is replace the first “exmple” with “example”, and every time I type exmple it would correct it.

You can also use a text editor to add or change the entries in the autocorrect.ahk file.

This is not too hard to figure out - my guess is an hour or less of your time and you’d be up and running.

Last note: there’s a great open source text editor that has been customized to support Autohotkey. You can get it here: autohotkey.net/~fincs/SciTE4 … key_3/web/.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions.
AutoCorrect.zip (37.5 KB)