Enable Project Templates window to display projects as well as templates

The Project Templates window that remains open when no Scrivener project is open lists templates. When I start Scrivener, the main thing I always want to do is open one of my projects, not a template.

Could the window have a dropdown to select which is displayed: templates or projects? I’d like to be able to click on an icon of a project instead of a template and not have to click the dropdown to select a project.

This is controlled via Preferences (Mac) or Options (Windows). You can find it under General, in the Startup section. See your manual, Appendix B, for details.

Hope this helps!

Thanks. I know where it’s found and how to turn it off. My wishlist suggestion is to be able to modify the Project Templates window to show icons of projects, not templates.

Ah. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I’m not an L&L employee, so I can’t speak for the company, but I’d lay odds against this being implemented any time soon. My reasoning is that this ability is provided already, via the File->Recent Projects and File->Favorite Projects menu items, and providing another interface to an already working ability is likely to be low priority. OTOH, I’ve been wrong about this sort of thing before. :smiley:

1 Like

We have this feature on iPadOS. I find it quite useful to see all my projects on a single page, whether or not they’ve been opened recently.

Why? Because if a project hasn’t been opened recently, it isn’t in the two lists in the File menu you reference, @Silverdragon.

I realize that the devs can’t implement every little feature requested by every user. Still, this seems like a feature that would be useful to the great majority of users. I hope that the devs will consider putting it on a to-do list on which it might rise to the top one day.

There’s a big difference between the way iOS/iPadOS handles files and data, and the way MacOS/Windows handles files and data.

The nub of it is that in iOS/iPadOS, all your projects are saved in the sandboxed space allocated to Scrivener. Even if you use Dropbox to sync between iDevice and desktop, the sync’ing process copies the changed documents to a copy of the project held in the Dropbox sandbox so that it can upload it to the server … that is why you have a sync process which you don’t have on your desktop.

So all your projects are in one single location on your iDevice and that’s what you see; on your Desktop, you can put your projects anywhere you like, and we all have our own ways of organising our stuff. I, for one, would hate it if Scrivener required me to put all my projects in a folder it designated on my Macs.

Whether it is possible to add interface code which assembles projects from wherever they happen to be according to the user’s preferences to create an iOS/iPadOS-like view, and whether it is worth it, is beyond my pay grade.

:slight_smile:

Mark

I would imagine either Scrivener would need to search the entire system at startup every time to find projects OR as part of Scrivener configuration, the user would provide a list of folders where projects might be found (similar to how photo management tools work) and then at startup Scrivener would need to search the specified folders.

Not as seamless or easy as on iOS.

And if you’re the sort of person who keeps unzipped versions of projects around, then those “inactive” projects would be cluttering up the list along with “active” versions.

For someone like me with dozens and dozens of projects, active and inactive, sounds like a mess and something I would never use.

I would continue to manage the projects myself, via the right-click shortcuts list on the pinned Scrivener tile in the Win10 start menu. It takes two keystrokes to list my six pinned “active” projects, and a third keystroke to launch the one I want to open.

ETA: It’s only two keystrokes to open a pinned project from the Win10 taskbar. Right-click on the Scrivener icon, left-click on your pinned project. Somehow I always forget this method is available. :dizzy_face:

But to each his own. This isn’t the first time I’ve seen this request, so there are certainly people who believe they’d make use of it.

Best,
Jim

1 Like

All the newer photo management apps I know of on MacOS that do this maintain a “library” of the photos all in one place set by the app, and photos have to be imported into that library. I don’t know about Photoshop (they lost me after CS1!), but I keep going back to my main photo manipulation app, Graphic Converter, which doesn’t use the library model.

Like you, I have unzipped projects (even some from Mac version 2.8) in appropriate folders, some on Dropbox (my personal ones), some on Sync (ones I share with Chinese colleagues and collaborators), even some in my Documents folder. But I don’t even have any set as favourites, though perhaps I should look into that.

Cheers,
Mark