Endnotes without numbers

Hi there,

I’m working on a long document which needs a lot of references, but I don’t want to clutter the text with end-note numbers or Harvard style names/dates. When I come to compile, I just want a list of references at the end of the document, organised by the page number on which they appear in the text.

While working I want these references to be linked in scrivener to the point in the text where they appear, so they are easy to keep track of, move, modify and delete, much like happens with the standard footnotes system.

Does anyone know a way to do this, or some kind of workaround to make it possible?

Thanks

Marcus

Would it work to put EndNote references (or Medeley or other citation manager of choice) either in within comments or in-text comments? That way they are in your text, and should be recognisable to the citation app, but won’t appear in your final presentation document.

Also interested to know why you would want to do this. I’m curious.

Actually, I’m not sure if that works. With Endnotes at least, I think it has trouble parsing RTF footnotes and doesn’t see placeholders that are situated within them. I’ve heard from several people on this, so definitely test out the workflow before committing to it.

Thanks, this might work up to a point, but not sure I would be able to get the references at the end indexed by page number (that update automatically with changes to the text), which is what I really need.

Nom, the idea is simply to produce a text which is as uncluttered as possible, and doesn’t look dauntingly academic, while still providing references for those who want to follow them up. It’s quite a common system in serious books aimed at the general reader.

Well, if you aren’t using a reference manager and are just typing in your citations by hand, then using Scrivener’s inline footnote or linked footnote system would be just fine. In the Compiler you can set them to be endnotes instead of footnotes. You’ll still get markers though—just simple super-scripted numbers. This isn’t actually done by Scrivener, but the word processor you open it in—so it might be possible to dispose of those in the word processor.

Another potential you could give a shot; create a folder called “References” at the bottom of your Draft:

1. Select the range of text you wish to internally note as being referred to.
  2. Press Cmd-L to make a new link
  3. Select References in the destination drop-down
  4. Give it a useful name (to yourself); default is the selected text which might be good enough; consider that when making your selection in the first step
  5. Click Okay. Depending on your Navigation tab preferences; you might get a QuickReference pane, split window, have the editor moved entirely to that new document, or nothing will happen. The default is a QR panel. Type in your citation and notes; close the QR panel and resume writing.

Now, at the end of the writing process, you are going to want to hide the fact that you’ve actually got dozens of files in a References folder in the Draft from the reader. So just click on References, put it in Outliner mode, show the “Compile As-Is” column, and Opt-click on any checkbox in that column to turn on As-Is for every reference note. Now the compiler will treat this entire section as one contiguous text.

This technique also works well for a glossary.