English - why I hate Americans

Being familiar with the Akron area (the '80s) 32 miles is the distance between neighbors. Ok, maybe that is a tad bit of an exaggeration, but 32mi is trivial this side of the pond.

Still toting the old Yankee twaddle of, [i]size matters, n mines bigger than yours.[/i] tch! tch! Wot y like? :open_mouth: Anyway, from what I can see, it sure as hell dont look like youd `ave far to go to scrounge a cup of sugar.

EDITED in response to Jaysens post below [maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&clien ... CAwQ8gEwAA](http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&q=Maps+of+Summit+County+Ohio&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Summit+County,+Ohio&ei=aLMBS-evC9O64QbltZH1Cw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CAwQ8gEwAA) Within a 50ml radius of Akron there are as many areas of habitation as there are in a comparable Lancs/Mersyside area. So like I said, Young n its only your Yankee perception of M[b]y bigs bigger n your big, [/b]that seems to be causing confusion. I can only repeat my question to, [i]Jacqi,[/i] since only she knows what she means. So, until [i]Jacq[/i]i answers, mums the word eh! :wink:

Are you sure that is the right picture?

And one picture does not an accurate representation make.

EDITED in response to vic-k’s post below on the above:
YAWN.

see :unamused: above the above.
For safety sake, I wouldnt be to liberal with your use of YAWN. Linda seems to think its hers! :open_mouth: She could turn nasty and start stalking y` :frowning:
You could try, BORING! or PANDICULATION!

See above the above to you too.

[edited - because I didn’t realise I could delete it, and I am a total dufus.]

I always found it amazing that the english dialects differed so greatly under what are really very small distances. When I first arrived over here I could do a pretty good posh brit accent, and a limey cockney one. And then I realised that - actually - I couldn’t.

I got laid into once by a bunch of lads who were deeply offended that after 4 pints of beer I didn’t recognise their accent as being Welsh. I’d not have recognised it prior to the beer either. I’d only been in the country about 5 minutes. And we were only there because we couldn’t get into “the church”.

[edited to add - oi, you deleted!]

Whoa, guys! :open_mouth: I thought it impressive that in the span of 32 miles, you’d have lots of different dialects! I’ve been fascinated by linguistics for some time, and I just thought that such a veritable cornucopia of variations was really interesting.

I totally agree with that - and even more interesting is how they vary - it’s not like a graduated scale of accent from north to south, there are some places where the differences make really no sense at all! Some area seem to be like isolated alien landing sites.

Wow! It’s the same over here! There are certain areas in this town where the people speak as if they left the South just yesterday. It’s because when the tire factories were in their heyday, Goodyear, Firestone, B.F. Goodrich, etc., desperate for labor, used to recruit workers from down South. (BTW, the jobs have since migrated south, where workers were a little less likely to join the URW and where wages were cheaper.)

Still, because of the relatively heavy snowfalls this close to the Great Lakes, those southern imports learned pretty quickly that a toboggan is a big, heavy sled.

Dont worry about youngn Im only giving him something to think about while he`s at work! :smiling_imp:

In many instances, its well nigh impossible to understand just what the hell theyre saying(not talking about Jaysen now). But whats fascinating, is just how quickly your ear becomes tuned in to the dialect. Did y read the full versions of theclock/sarah poems, I`d be interested to hear what you thought about them, if you did.
Vic

Sorry, Vic, I haven’t. :cry:

And we were only there because we couldn’t get into “the church”.

Is that the same “church” as I recall from North London/Kings Cross way ?

Whats a nice girl like you going to a place like that.

Oh ! Research…that explains it all.

Paul

I just moved from one small village to another, smaller one, roughly 20 km away. Guess what? I didn’t understand a single sentence during the first couple of weeks…

I once spoke to a Geordie - the look on my face when he first opened his mouth was utter confusion.

And Thequietone, yes - research. Very much so. Dedicated I was. VERY dedicated. Not to mention talented.

’ What`s the word that means, 'standards are plummeting again’? :confused:

Nice touch of irony though :wink:

When stationed in Krefeld, in 1963/5, I shared a room with: a West Indian; a Glaswegian; a Canadian; a real bona fide English country yokel, and two Scousers. Imagine what it was like with my broad Mancunian accent added to that eclectic bunch. After a fortnight or so, at least to my ears, all trace of accent/dialect had vanished.

After enlisting, in 1962, for the first week of basic training, I was calling the Geordie, whose bed was next to mine, Taffy. Id never heard of a Geordie before that. It was one of the other lads that asked me, "Why d Y keep calling Brian, Taffy? Hes from Newcastle. Hes a Geordie." Brian never corrected me, so Im just wondering if it was a case of, him not understanding a word, I was saying! :smiley:
vic

That would be “vic-k”.

Shitshitshit!!! Im as thick as a double ditch!! :open_mouth: I shouldve seen that one coming a mile away! 8) :wink: [size=50]Nice one young n.[/size]
10[size=150]*[/size]

Thank you Mr K. Thank you.

Y`re welcome. :wink: