Enhanced Windows dictionary options?

There were some hints that they were going to be looking at better dictionaries, but nothing concrete.

Folks, thanks for this great info. I’ve swapped out the default dictionary for the Aspell insane model. :mrgreen:

Best,
Jim

Welcome to the insane! I blame rwfranz. :smiling_imp:

I went ‘insane’ too as I found the number of times I was having to teach the default dictionary correctly spelt words that were not ‘rare’ or ‘obscure’ was intruding on my writing. Hopefully an official option will come in due course.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve upgraded my dictionary too, and after some experiments, everything is working. However, I would like to make a request for the future. Please could the option to ignore spelling for words in ALL CAPS be added, and could that include all caps with punctuation? Every time I type a name with initials in front of it (which, as a historian, I do frequently), I have to add those initials to the dictionary. Many thanks.

I hope it is OK for me to piggyback on this thread with a related question about the dictionary in Scrivener for Windows.

It is possible for me to import or otherwise make available to Scrivener the custom discretionary that I use in Microsoft Word and Office? This is plain text file (filename.dic) that can be edited in any plain text editor.

Is the the answer the same for S1 and S3?

Thank you…

Glad to be of service.

You could try it. I’m not sure word and office use Hunspell, though. you can look in the hunspell directories in the Scrivener directory and see how similar the files are, but Hunspell also uses filename.aff. I do know that Libre and Open Office use the same spellchecking libraries and their dictionaries are usable (they’re zip files that have been renamed, so unzip and rename them). I do know that many of Adobe’s spellcheckers are based on hunspell, so their dictionaries should be usable (I have not checked them personally, but they should be).

rw

Thank you for that reply.

I see in the S3 hunspell folder a subfolder named dict, and inside it is a file named en-US.dic, apparently the main English dictionary installed. . .

It is a plain text file, same as the custom dictionary I use in word, one word per line, and even uses the same extension. This is promising!

I see that that most words are appended with rule flags. How interesting.

Ideally, I’d be able to copy my custom dictionary into that same folder, and have the spelling engine integrate that list… or there is a setting that would let me point to a supplemental dictionary.

Let’s see,

Hello! I have been pushing for this too. Nearly every writer has vocabulary outside of the Standard dictionaries, but I have noticed Scriveners dictionaries are pretty poor by everyone else’s standards. I would like an option similar to in OpenOffice where you can add Customer Dictionaries either outsourced or built by yourself to your heart’s content. I would also like to be able to choose the various Grammar rules for each word, which NO ONE seems to offer that I have encountered! I want to show that words are nouns or adjectives or whatever, and I want to show what the plural forms are for new nouns, stuff like that. For me, that IS what writing is, the rest is just tools, frills and page layout gubbins. It’s all about the words, so put them first and in the centre, and that starts with the dictionaries and the grammar rules.

Is this (using a different dictionary than the downloadable ones from the option panel) something that is English only, or has it other languages alternatives ?

And could someone be so kind as to post the procedure to make alternative dictionaries available in the setting’s available dictionary list ?

Thx.

Read through the linked thread. The instructions are there. It does cover some other languages, but you will want to add them through the normal methods in Scrivener before switching it out.

I just read the thread for a second time, but beside the fact that some files need to be renamed, I am still clueless as to how this has to be done.

[EDIT] Aww ok. The linked threads… haven’t checked those yet.

I just checked for them again but didn’t see them. I’m at work right now and don’t have the time to do up the instructions but will come back to this later tonight.

1 Like

Hey @Vincent_Vincent ,

The instructions are in this thread. (Here’s the specific post.)

Best,
Jim

2 Likes

Perhaps at least this could be improved.

Specifically, how would you suggest it be improved? To what?

1 Like

Having the system remember where your dictionary is would be a good first step, not erasing changes you made to the dictionary set-up.
It’s not clear to me why Scrivener has the particular dictionary it has, given the large number of complaints about it, but anything that would make it easier to add a better one would be welcome.

Well, I’m no longer working in the beta. Once it is done - the replacement of the dictionary files - you should no longer need to do it unless you uninstall/reinstall Scrivener. I went for years with the “insane” version and never had to touch it until just recently. Normal folks just aren’t going to need to do it.

Having a baseline dictionary is the first step and is what you get when you do a fresh install of Scrivener. You get something that mostly works in the proper place to be able to make changes.

Windows Scrivener is clearly the best when it comes to the spelling dictionary. You can make changes easily enough without having to deal with the Mac OS that may or may not accept the changes, or worse, changes them again whenever the OS updates. What more are you looking for?