Entire scenes replaced by random text

This is driving me crazy but some text files of my scriv files end up being replaced by random text? The kind that has a lot of symbols?

($œ’m…Îmo“LÒDüÜ;˜%gÏ?wêÁÅ·øîùovH0õÉa‡5£Ú*î Ø’ÃÌlÍ››S iyä”rÕO7ª“ž%L]Ý×%±ºÇhk ← this is how one of my scenes ended up looking like)

I can’t figure out what makes it this way and I just kept fixing it by copying the scenes from my backup files but I just finished a few scenes in one of my WIPs todays, had to close out of Scriv for a PC restart and it didn’t backup correctly either? The latest backup was of project without the scenes I wrote today. And when I opened my file, four of the scenes’ text was replaced by random text like above. It wasn’t just the scenes I most recently wrote though, and some of the most recent scenes I wrote made it out unscathed.

I can’t figure out what’s causing this because it doesn’t always happen upon closing the document, maybe once every three times. It’s also not due to the restarting of PC because it happens regardless. I don’t know why it didn’t backup either. Is it my hard drive that’s the problem or?

Prior to this, btw, I had a problem with backing up my files, too. Scriv would give me an error message saying it couldn’t back up properly or something. I had to create new files for each corrupted document for backups to work again.

Please help. Terribly heartbroken cause I just wrote some of the most emotional scenes and now they’re random text and I don’t know how to get back the scenes I’ve already written.

Hello drnrnz. I am sorry to learn about the issues you’re having with these documents.

Are you storing your main, working Scrivener project on your PC’s hard drive? Or, are you storing it in a cloud server? And, if you’re storing to a cloud server, which are you using?

I ask because having your data replaced like this is not normal, but it does resemble some of the issues we’ve seen on past help requests when the main project is stored in Google Drive, which prompted our advisory.

If your project is stored to your PC’s hard drive and this is occurring, where–specifically–is the project stored on the PC? Are you storing it in your Documents folder, on the PC’s Desktop, or where?

I had them in an external hard drive, had them there for over a year with no issues until very recently. My mentioned previous problem with backups were because I tried to have them automatically stored in a cloud server, though. I think it was either Dropbox or OneDrive but I went back to storing them in a hard drive when it wouldn’t let me back up anything.

I moved all files to an internal hard drive in case that’s what’s causing all these scenes to be corrupted though, but without knowing the actual reason I’m not sure yet if it’ll work. Especially since it doesn’t happen on every exit but does happen often enough to make it hard for me to continue writing.

I think the problem is with backups, honestly, so I moved my backups to another drive, too. Still separate from my original Scrivener files. Currently, my Scrivener files are in my Documents folder and my backup files are in my second drive.