ePub File Error

Hi Folks,

Need a bit of help.

I have 2 versions of my ebook (Standard & Deluxe) which I have successfully submitted to the Kindle store. The Standard has been submitted to the iBooks store. The Deluxe is failing submission to iBooks. The files (mobi & pub) were created with Scrivener 3 on Mac OSX 10.14.4

I’m getting the following error from iTunes Producer when submitting my epub file,

ERROR (RSC-005) at “Ringo’s White Album (Deluxe).epub/OPS/contents.xhtml” (line 43, col 24):
Error while parsing file: element “a” not allowed here; expected the element end-tag or element “ol”

The difference between the 2 versions? The Deluxe has an additional chapter containing png files of music notation.

I’ve had a good look within the compile settings but to no avail. As I said, the Deluxe mobi file worked fine. I have a feeling the problem lies with the structure of the additional chapters? Any indication as to where this error lies, so I can successfully edit/resolve?

Many thanks,

Alex

OL probably refers to an ordered list. If the extra chapter contains an ordered / numbered list, check the list: remove (cut, perhaps) it and compile without it to see if that works or not, then recreate (paste, perhaps) the list and try again.

Even changing the list to normal text and then reapplying the list might work.

You could also try: Edit > Text Tidying > Zap Gremlins.

If the list originated elsewhere – such as from a Word file or the web – it might well have some ill-defined formatting that is clogging things up.

Slàinte mhòr.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I think you’re right - I’ve identified a chapter title (4. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da) which in TOC does not have a number as a prefix, despite having one in the manuscript.

TOC.png

Manuscript.png

Additionally, the chapter title is being generated twice at the chapter start.

Chapter Title.png

Presumably the characters("-" “,”) in the song title (Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da) are causing the problem? As I said, the mobi file is ok.

Text Tidying >Zap Gremlins is greyed-out when selecting any aspect of the manuscript, how is it enabled?

Thanks again,

Alex

Hi, Alex.

For Zap Gremlins to be active, the editor needs to have focus. Putting the cursor in the editor should enable the feature.

Your file name includes a number: 4. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da. Where the song name is repeated in the compiled text, there is no number, so it seems the repeated text is not being automatically generated from the file name by the compiler. Is the name, perhaps, actually written at the top of the file itself?

And when you look the assigned section types in the compile window, does “4. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da” have the same section type assigned to it as the other text files in the sequence?

I don’t think the characters in the title would trip the compiler up, though you could always do a test compile by changing the name to something completely benign and seeing if it works.

Slàinte mhòr.

EDIT:

Another possibility is that the file name has got a return in it with the title repeated underneath, although this can’t be seen in the Binder as it only shows single lines. You can check this by selecting the name in the Binder using CMD A, copying with CMD C, and pasting into a file with CMD V. You might have something like:

4. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

Thanks again for the swift reply,

Your edit fixed the issue! There must have been another entry of the song title not showing due to the chapter title only displaying a single line. I must have made an alteration somewhere between compiles, although quite why I don’t know, as the file I used is the same for mobi and epub compiles. Odd - but at least you got to the bottom of it for me.

Very much appreciated,

Alex

PS -Before I spotted your edit, I renamed the chapter “Banana” and it had no errors, so I was along the right lines, but wouldn’t have known about the single-line display.

Good news. But surely “Banana” would have been the alternative title for “Yellow Submarine”. [Grins inanely.]

Slàinte mhòr.

Yes, although perhaps I should have used “Apple”?

Thanks again, the book has successfully been submitted.