Epub: I don´t want the document names

Hi,

I compliled my manuscript for ePub. Now, when scrolling (using iBooks), it shows the document names at the bottom. Those are not made for the eye of the reader (spoiling the story and revealing my stupidity…). I deactivated “include HTML-Folder of content” already. How do I get rid of those names?

Thankx
Robert

You’ll probably want to use some kind of generic “Chapter 21” type thing instead of your internal naming for the chapters then, I take it? If so that’s easy to do. You could go ahead and turn HTML ToC back on, that won’t change the way things are titled and it’s a useful tool for the reader. In the Formatting compile option pane, scan down the “Title” column in that table at the top and look for checkmarks. Those indicate where document titles are being output into the manuscript as headings. Turn those off, then for the items which are generating chapters (probably folders, but that depends on how you structured the book in the Binder), click the “Section Layout” button and type in “Chapter <$n>” in the prefix field. Now the compiler will just print a running count of chapters in the ToC, and that should also be used by the iBook reader software to generate any page adornments.

One other place to check is in the Meta-Data pane. Make sure the Title field is the title of your book and not the name of the project, if these two are different.

Hm. I have organized the book in a lot of scenes that function somehow like chapters but are shorter than usual chapters. They are not titled but start with a date each and have page break before. I have them in folders for my own organization but those folders aren´t chapters either (and are not included in compile). A table of contents wouldn´t really make sense for the book. Isnt´t there a way to just delete those titles in the scrolling-window?

Ah, I see. In that case then, just disable all Title checkboxes, and remove any prefix text. If you click each row, you should just see the main text in the mock editor, no titles. As for having page breaks, that’s kind of a conflict with what you are trying to do here. It sounds like you want one long “section”, and using the “page break” feature is what generates sections. Of course, you can disable the HTML ToC, but the book is still going to be cut up into sections and have a meta-data spine created for it matching those. That is what most readers will use when readers click on the ToC button (and I think it is what the iBooks reader is showing on the edge of the page). I’d consider not using section breaks in between dated sections—perhaps some kind of visual separator instead.

Sorry, I am not sure I got it right. I had the title-boxes already unchecked, that didn’t help. So is the page-break telling the reader to use this section like a chapter, thus naming it? Could I at least give them different names, like numbers?

Thanks for your help
Robert

The section break will give it a name, that’s the problem. It’s just a function of the format. If you break to a new section it has to be given some title. You could just give it a number by adding a counter placeholder to the title prefix field in the Formatting pane.

Hi,

thanks again for all your help. I understand now. I just want to let you now that it didn´t work with the placeholder number as prefix. This added a number, but still kept the document names. I will work my way around it by using something else as a seperator.

Thanks again
Robert

Something’s not right still. The process I’m describing should completely eliminate binder titles. If something has the title checkbox disabled, and nothing else, then Scrivener will use the document names in the HTML and meta-data for the ePub. This can be verified by opening the ePub file in Sigil and examining the code. The NCX ToC file will contain the document names. If the Formatting pane has a prefix or suffix, but not a Title checkbox for the type and level of item that is producing sections, then in no place in the ePub script files will there be an instance of the document titles.

I’m attaching an example project that has a basic layout that sounds like what you are describing, with compile settings that will generate section breaks between text files and numbers the files sequentially with Arabic numerals. The resulting ePub file is also attached. If you search the source files for ‘scene’ you will find nothing. The meta-data and reader-visible text merely use the supplied numbering.

12332946-section_names.zip (97.1 KB)

So I’d go through that and compare with your situation to see where the discrepancy sits, testing the compiles in Calibre or Sigil.

Thank you a final time. Your support is unusually great! Sorry for my delayed answer, I had a lot of work recently. I finally got it. My failure was not to check the “override text and notes formatting” box and to keep the “title” box checked, so I had it just the other way around.
Having numbers didn´t look very nice, but I just put an asterisk in there now. Every new sections starts with an asterisk now, which doesn´t bother to much. I´d still prefer to not have anything there at all, but for now that´s okay (I´m giving it to private persons only at the moment). If I´m ever going to publish it, I´ll change the names of the documents to those dates, using those as chapter-names.

Hm, but I have an inscription and a quote that come before the first chapter. How would that be managed in a standard eBook? You don´t want a header above the inscription, and you want a page break before and after it. I feel I still get something basically wrong…

You’re welcome! Glad you found a solution that works for now.

Dedication and quote pages are best done by setting them to “Compile As-Is” (and probably Page Break Before, too). You’ll find that checkbox in the Inspector. This option has two primary functions: 1) the content will be printed exactly how it appears in the editor. So you can do custom stuff like centre-alignment and italics without fear of override formatting wiping it out; and 2) it causes the item to only print text content, even if the Formatting pane would otherwise have it print other things (like the title).