ePUB looks diff in NOOK vs iBooks

Hi,

I’m having formatting issues with my ePUB version of my compiled book.

Mobi is gorgeous–no issues at all.

ePUB in iBooks looks just like my kindle file.

ePUB opened in NOOK…not so much.

It’s adding a header at the top of the book (pulling from my meta data so I can’t exactly delete that information off the file - will need when I upload to Nook & iBooks.) and it’s losing my chapter, sub chapter formatting. It’s putting it on the left of the page–not the center.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

As you note, there isn’t really anything you can do about a reader deciding to display the book title (or whatever else it chooses) around the periphery of the book material itself. The Kindle puts progress info along the bottom footer of the Paperwhite for instance, and prints the book title along the top on the Fire. There is literally nothing you can do about that save write to Barnes & Noble and complain about the presentation choices they’ve made.

Centre alignment should be working though, unless they have recently changed something. I can’t imagine they would remove that ability from the device display. I will have to test this further on my Nook when I get back home.

sigh
Thank you.
I kinda figured it was going to be something like that, but I sure was hoping for a different answer.

Well the good news is that everyone else has the same header, so Nook readers are used to it.

Regarding the title problem, I can’t reproduce that in my tests. For testing I just used the basic “E-book” format preset for compiling, which comes with centre-aligned titles by default, for both folders and file groups. What method are you using to style your titles?

Mercy–I’ve been fighting with it for days now.

I think I may have found where the brunt of the problem is in. In the hierarchy of the compile feature’s formatting.

How do you figure out which level is which?

Little bit of a repeat, but just to show you how it’s loading—can’t screen print the whole thing—doesn’t fit.

Okay–you can firmly put me in the okay to stop growling in frustration.
The nook publishing site lets me play with settings in there–even after the epub file has been finalized.

So–whatever regular settings are done when it’s opened in nook–it doesn’t matter.
Because when it’s uploaded to barnes and noble it does it’s own thing entirely.

if you can explain the meaning of the levels in compile—or point me in the right direction–then that’d be amazing.

Thanks for your help!

Levels just correspond to how much something is indented beneath the Draft. So for example that “Seduced” folder is at level 1, because it is at the top level beneath the Draft. “About the Book” is indented beneath the Seduced folder, so it is level two. When it says “3+” in the Formatting pane, that just means the formatting you set up there will work for anything that is level 3 (indented three times) or greater. A classic example of where levels are useful is if your Level 1 folders are parts and your Level 2 folders are chapters. In your example, you would want Level 1 text files to act like chapters, because you have individual sections at the top level beneath the draft, like “Copyright” and “Dedication”. Anything greater than level 1 looks like it is being used as a scene, so you can just set a Level 2+ and not worry about getting any more specific.

I don’t have as much experience with uploading to B&N. When I test, I just plug my Nook into the PC and transfer the .epub file over the USB cable. I have heard that both Amazon and B&N’s website preview is not indicative of what the devices will display, though.

When I went into my modify option in each of the compile formatting levels the padding and indents were ALL over the board. Not even sure how it got that way, but sheeesh. What a mess.

I think I’ve got it sorted now.

It seems that the ‘level 3’ is the scenes in the chapters and the formatting was fine for those.
level 2 was the copyright and dedication pages. (which needed centering and were very weird looking in epub until I could play with the modify settings.)

My goodness, I do love the way I can manipulate everything, but when it goes wrong it’s WHOA–what in the heck? LOL

As for epub on nook–yeah, the NOOK Press lets you do everything now from start with a word doc and format it to start with an epub and reformat it.

Lord, I hope it fixes itself. I don’t mind the left justification too much for the chapter title, subtitle and lyrics–so I won’t moan about it too much if it won’t correct itself. But before it the padding and indents were strange and crazy numbers.

I guess I’ll find out next week when I publish.

Thank you every so much for your help. I do love my Scrivener program and hope to figure out things the more I publish.

I’m having a similar issue with the centering of text (including chapter titles) and images in the iOS versions of Nook. I compiled my ePub file in Scrivener and then brought it into Sigil to do some minor fixes. It came out fantastic. Looks perfect in Adobe Digital Editions, iBooks, Kobo, and strangely, Nook PC, all with centered text.

However, the Nook apps for iPhone and iPad are not displaying centered text. Instead the text is justified to the left. I searched online in other forums and it seems like the Nook apps aren’t “listening” to the CSS input for “center.” I also read that Nook is based on Adobe Digital Editions, so I don’t know why there’s such a difference between them.

I wouldn’t really mind the chapter numbers being left justified, but I have breaks between paragraphs where I need a date to be centered. Without them centered, it looks less professional and might be a bit confusing to readers.

I’m all set to publish to the Nook platform but this is the only thing preventing me from doing so. If anyone has any ideas of what I can do, please share.

Thank you.

Interesting, definitely sounds like something that should be sent to Barnes & Noble as feedback. Having centre-alignment on chapter titles seems to me a fairly obvious thing they would want to support. I can’t think of anything to suggest to you as a work-around. Scrivener sets the text-align to ‘center’, which is the standard way to do this. Another way of doing this is to set the margins to ‘auto’ for both left and right. You might give that a try; it would be strange if it supports that method instead of the standard way of centring text, and you would definitely want to double-check that everything else continues to work.

I’m going to get in touch with them right now. You’re right, it does sound like something on their end since it works fine in Nook for PC and Digital Editions.

If I find anything out, I’ll try to remember to post back about the solution so others can benefit.

Thanks for the help.

I believe I have found a work-around for this. I noticed that the “Contents” heading was centred, despite the chapter titles, and so examined the difference between the two in Sigil. The Contents heading, being something that we have hard-coded into the output, is generated as an H2 heading. It otherwise has the same CSS applied to it. So I went through the test headings for chapter titles and adjusted the chapter headings so that they were H2 elements, still classed to the same CSS they had been as P elements. I saved this, uploaded it to my iOS device, and the titles came through centre-aligned!

Unfortunately this fix cannot be applied from the Scrivener side, as there is no way to yet apply header levels in the Formatting pane (that is on the list, no fear).

I will have to give this a try. I emailed Nook Press support but haven’t heard back. I also tested the web version of the Nook reader by uploading my ePub to Nook Press. This is the preview Nook wants you to inspect before publishing. Strangely, it is perfect. Without changing a thing in the ePub, everything that needs to be, is centered. It’s definitely a flaw with the iOS apps. I may end of leaving my ePub as is, and letting Nook sort it out.

Thanks for help.

Yeah, agreed and I can confirm that it works fine on an actual Nook device as well (without editing the ePub). I copied a few ePub test files, the same ones used for the iOS tests, onto the e-ink device and they displayed as they should. So it’s definitely a rendering problem with their iOS software.