Error – 'Kindle document creation failed'

I’ve just updated to macOS Catalina, downloaded the recent update for Scrivener (3.1.4), and I’m getting the KindleGen error messages again.

Kindle document creation failed.

KindleGen failed to generate a .mobi file at the expected location.

Now, whilst I know I could simply upload the .epub version of the book to KDP, it doesn’t keep the folder structure that the .mobi version does in the ‘Go To’ section. Previously, my front matter was organised into its own ‘Front Matter’ folder (as were book sections/parts, etc.).

So, my query is two-fold – is there a fix for the KindleGen issue? Or, can I create the same ‘Go To’ structure for my .epub version?

Thanks.

I’m having the same problem. I could format to .mobi before updating to 3.1.4 and Catalina. Now I get the same error message. I could also upload .epub to KDP, and I usually do, but I also like to load rough drafts of the MS onto my Kindle so my main alpha reader (a.k.a. my wife) can read the roughs. How do I fix this?

Yes, I do the same with my Kindle – load the .mobi file for reading and checking.

If anyone can help, that would be appreciated.

Having the same problem, as well. Very frustrating. I’ve reached out to support but it sounds like they are experiencing high volume. Really happy I didn’t set the pre-order date for my novel yet.

Deinstall KindleGen. Install Kindle Previewer.

Kindle Previewer embeds a newer version of KindleGen than is available for a separate download, and Scrivener will use that version instead.

Katherine

1 Like

Worked! Thank you so much!

Thanks, that worked perfectly :slight_smile:

Katherine! You are a dear! Thank you! This worked!! :smiley:

So Mac users no longer need to download and install KindleGen? Didn’t know that.

Not only don’t need to, but shouldn’t: the Catalina update appears to have broken it.

Katherine