Error Opening a Previous Mac File on my new PC

I just got a new pc and I’m in the process of bringing over files. I’m attempting to open up the old file but it gives me an error message that I’m attempting to open a different version of Scrivener and I need to update. I’m on the most recent version of Scrivener so I’m fairly confident that the error is simply that it’s a Mac version. How do I get this to open up? I still have the supporting files so I’m trying to find a way to start a new project while bringing those in. Or if there is another solution I’m open to it. I just really don’t want have to manually go through setting up a new project and copy-pasting all the text into it.

You need to be using the Windows v. 3 Beta, or if you’re using the v. 1.9.x version, on your Mac, if you still have it, use File > Export > as Scrivener 2 Project…

The current release version uses the format of version 2; version 3 uses a much changed version.

The Scriv v. 3 Beta—currently RC11—is perfectly stable, though there seem to be a few UI glitches and features still needing work—particularly in the Compile functions—but my collaborator has been using the successive betas to work on projects with me for about 2 years, and there are many who others who have been using it on their projects for a similarly long period. You’ll find the download link at
https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/scrivener-3-0-beta-release-candidate-10-download-links-change-list/38228/1

Hope that helps. :slight_smile:

Mark

Howdy!

I had this exact problem, and your reply helped. I bricked my Macbook this year and switched to a windows OS, thus transferring all of my work over.

However, the beta expires in a couple weeks. What will happen after the expiration date?

The same thing that always happens – either a new beta comes out, usually a day or two before the expiration date, or the release version is finally released in which case we go back to the normal license/trial system.

If you’re interested in the beta, head on over to the Windows Beta forum – that’s where all the Q&A, discussions, and bug reports happen for the beta.