Error Saving Project

Hi -

I have my .scriv files saved on my network server, and when Scrivner attempts to auto-save I get:

"Error Saving Project

There was a problem saving the project"

When I’m working on files on my local drive I don’t have this problem - any ideas?

Tks! jen :slight_smile:

This error message just means that the file system has told Scrivener that it won’t write the files. Unfortunately it doesn’t provide Scrivener with any more information than that. It may be that you don’t have the right permissions on the network server to write to it the multiple files that get saved during a Scrivener save. It could mean many other things, too. Either way, I would always recommend that you [i]don’t[i] save a project on a network as this system can be very flaky. Instead, always download the project to the local hard drive, save there, and upload again when you have finished your edits. In general this is a safer method with any sort of file. If the network goes down for some reason while you are editing a file, or you lose the connection, you can lose data.
All the best,
Keith

I’m getting this error at the moment and I’m opening the file on my iMac but the file itself is sat on my laptop hard drive which is in firewire target mode. Is this dodgy too?

Yes. You would need to be logged in as exactly the same user, or rather, you would need to log in remotely to the other machine, if you see what I mean. This just means that you don’t have permissions to write to the file, which is what happens when you open a file from one machine on another machine. (It’s not an issue with programs that use single files which can all be loaded into memory and then saved somewhere else, but Scrivener has to be able to save to the original file path.)

All the best,
Keith

Thanks Keith.

One last question then seeing as I am out and about a lot - so using both my laptop and iMac coz it has two screens :slight_smile:

How about I put my files on my Iomega firewire external drive and plug the drive into the relevant computer depending on whether I’m in my mancave or at the library? Will both computers open the project ok seeing as permissions will relate to the drive and not the computers?

They will, yes, but you could experience data loss if the firewire drive suddenly became disconnected. I would recommend either copying it to the local drive for each session, or being very paranoid about using the File > Backup To feature if you take this route.
All the best,
Keith

OSX, which is BSD, uses UID and GID along with ACL to manage file access permissions.

OK, that was letter soup so let me clear it up:
UID = User ID number.
GID = Group ID number
ACL = Access Control List.

You CAN do what you are trying with a little work, which I will detail, but let me reiterate that KB has suggested NOT using external drives. I do, but I am willing to take the risk as I am pretty sure I can recover.

Lets talk ACL. In its simplest form (the form we will be using) the system uses the UID and GID to determine if you are allowed to access a file, and what type of access you are allowed to had. When the file is created the OS assigns the creators UID and GID (primary as you can be part of more than one group) to the file. The users umask is used to set the default permissions. You can see this by opening a terminal window and typing the following

cd
ls -l

This will give you a file listing from the OS using the long format. All those r, w, x, and - mean something. More on that in a minute. You can also get this information from the finder by selecting a file and doing a cmd-i. This will bring up the file information pane.

The permission ACL has three sections, owner permissions, group permissions, and everyone else permission. These are represented by the last six r/w/x/- characters in the long listing. The first character is a “type” representation and is not an ACL component. Each set of 3 are the read, write and execute/extended permission bit respectively. The first set of three is for the owner, the second for the group, the last for everyone else. What we are going to do is what I like to think of as “a bad idea” for servers, but a “handy trick” for situations like yours. We are going to make your file "readable by everyone.

• note * This point is where I tell you that you are proceeding at your own risk. There is a chance of messing up your project so BACK IT UP. Don’t ask KB to fix it (although he probably would), instead restore the backup I just told you to make.

Here we go.

Some assumptions:

1. The scrivener project is in your Documents folder.
  2. The project name is “Project.scriv”
  3. There are no spaces in the names.
    If any of these are incorrect you will need to adjust what follows.

Disconnect the systems and boot the source system. Open a terminal and type:

cd 
cd Documents
chmod -R o+rw Project.scriv
find Project.scriv -type d -exec chmod o+x

Done.

Now boot back into target mode. Attach to other mac. Open project.

Again, you are doing this at your own risk. I did try it and it seems to work fine.

Let me know if you need more info.