Escaping placeholders and Replacement wildcards don't seem to work in 3.0.1.0

I’ve used a backslash “()” before the first “(<)” characters in Placeholders to see them back in print.
I’ve also used backslashes before each of the Placeholder characters $ and @ and n, and tried forward slashes.
But nothing works, and I can’t seem to find it in the Windows manual either.

What’s the right way to Escape Placeholders and Replacement wildcards to let the Compiler leave the as the are in the Editor? Some examples would help :wink:

Unfortunately they haven’t added that yet. It’s one of the things that is holding up the ability to compile the user manual. I believe at the moment you would have to use a typographic trick to print a placeholder with the intention of writing about it, like using U+227a and U+227b, which looks like: ≺$label≻. That’s not ideal if you want to make it so your readers can copy and paste though!

Replacements won’t work, because replacements specifically run before placeholder evaluation, since they can be used to actually generate placeholders, like being able to type !fig(anchorName) in the editor and get <$n:figure:anchorName>, which would in turn print a number when fully compiled.

The only non-typographic trick I can think of would be limited to plain-text and Markdown outputs: The Processing pane would let you run a script after compile is done, and thus further transform the document. You could thus use a placeholder of a placeholder syntax while writing about them, and have a Ruby script or something convert those to how they should be printed.

Thanks, Amber for your swift reply.
I was afraid of this, not being mentioned in the User Manual at this time.
I’m thinking of using compile-agnostic symbols and replace those in either Word or InDesign in the graphic design phase of producing my book.
Now I need to find some characters to be placeholders for the Placeholders, though…

Yeah that sounds like a good approach to me. You’ll be able to clean things up eventually as well, using Edit ▸ Find ▸ Project Replace..., in the same way you would in post.

I’ve replaced the dollar sign ($) for the Section Mark (§) and the @ for the Ae character (æ) in the entire book. The compiler seems to let them through in the output document. I’ll save the replacement of these back to $ and @ for a later stage.

1 Like