eSellerate eCD: Another 9 Euros?

Hello,

I was about to purchase the download version of Scrivener for the inflated European price of €30.02 but when I checked out an additional charge of €9.02 for an eSellerate eCD appeared. Can I remove that item if I only want to download the product without getting a physical cd?

Thanks
Lily

Hi Lily,

Thanks for wanting to buy. I’m not sure why you think 30 Euros is an inflated price - this converts to just over $40, which is only a couple of dollars more, and presumably includes VAT which needs paying outside of the US. (Although we’re a UK company, the company who run the web store is based in the US.)

It’s normal for the CD version to cost more, of course, as it includes production and shipment. But you certainly don’t have to buy it on CD - you can indeed uncheck that option and just buy it as a download product. Scrivener is primarily a download product, in fact - we only added the CD option recently for those who really like a physical delivery.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Yes, remove it, it’s not necessary. Funny that it made its way into your cart automatically!

Also: the prices might be slightly different, but I hardly thought they were particularly inflated. I had a flick around the different prices, and they all seem to be only a few of units of currency higher than the US price. (eSellerate is a US company. Literature and Latte is a British company. British customers pay more than the US price, too.) For me, it’s an equivalent of $4 Australian dollars more than the US price – slightly more than the €3 difference for you, but I wouldn’t have thought twice about it, and I’m hardly rich :slight_smile: … I mean, if you’re charged a foreign currency to your credit card rather than choosing a currency via eSellerate, aren’t you also charged a little fee by your bank?

EDITED: sorry, $4 is less than €3 – MATHS FAIL.

Thanks for the replies and, fair enough, €3 isn’t exorbitant and covers higher VAT. I’m just sensitive because we always get ripped off in Ireland!

Lily

Tell me about it - it’s the same in the UK. Anything that costs $30 is the US is usually £30 here. But seeing as most of our customers are American, I can’t really try and get my own back. :slight_smile:
All the best,
Keith

It could be worse. £30 is a $42.66 US. When those in the US buy from the EU we don’t get a break. Not complaining, but wanted to make sure you realized the knife cuts both ways. And it is a tad deeper cut if you are on our side of the pond.

Actually I am pretty happy to live here - most shareware applications are paid is $ oder even CAD, which is very good for Germans :slight_smile:
Especially the CAD is incredibly cheap^^

Jaysen - true, but take a look at what Adobe and Apple are charging us for the same products they charge you. :frowning: (The shadowy DMJ informs me that Adobe have lost 20% of their business in the UK thanks to their new harsh pricing scheme, where we pay the same in pounds as you guys pay in dollars.) The fact is that most of the big software houses are based in the US, so the knife may cut both ways, but it cuts us more often. :slight_smile:

All the best,
Keith

KB,

In my opinion, there should be a “fair pricing” WTO mandate to avoid tariffs. That mandate would be that all sales are denominated in the currency of the parent company and the price can not be changed based on country of purchase. That means Microsnot UK would have to sell products at the same price as Microsnot US in with all prices calculated in US $. If they wanted to sell Word at a different price in the UK, they would be subject to tariffs and additional taxes.

I doubt anyone would approve that.

I used to sell a lot of things on ebay and always felt sorry for anyone who didn’t live in the USA, the additional charges were awful. I know they might have considered their buys a ‘deal’ but sure wish I could have given them the ‘real’ deal.

That certainly makes sense for things such as software downloads. For physical items, distribution would need to be taken into account, so that companies could add reasonable additional costs for shipping, transport, storage etc.

Jaysen - that would be a very good thing indeed, though as you say, I doubt anyone would improve it.

Matt - true, the extra costs would need to be taken into account, but in the case of say, Apple, Adobe and Microsoft my guess is that these are fairly minimal and certainly wouldn’t double the price. I saw Steve Jobs talking about why products were more expensive in the UK. He made two points: 1) It costs more to trade in the UK. Fair point, although again, I doubt that it costs as much as the extra price would indicate. 2) In the US sales tax isn’t included on websites but only gets added at point of purchase, so the actual cost of the product is higher than it seems when we look at the store. I since found out that this is complete rubbish, though, as you only have to pay sales tax in the US if you are in the same state as the seller, so for the vast majority the low price on display is exactly what they pay.

I’m sure it does cut both ways and that some UK companies up their dollar price, but I suspect that this doesn’t happen as much because the US is always going to provide the largest customer base, so you really can’t afford to upset customers there. Not that I would want to, I might add - I just wish the big US companies wouldn’t up their prices abroad just because they can. (And this does only apply to the big companies, of course - most smaller US companies do just sell for the dollar price + shipping around the world.)

All the best,
Keith

Normally I would only argue with you over turtles, but your statement is wrong. I pay sales tax at NY rates on every thing I purchase. Companies like apple automatically add it. Others leave it to the “honor” system. If you do not declare your purchase and pay tax on non-vendor taxed items, you are subject to fines, and possible imprisonment. Sorry.

As to shipping, I don’t buy that answer as most products, especially apple, are sipped from a off shore manufacturer anyway. The UK stuff does not pass through the US first, but straight to the Apple UK warehouse. Software is not blown on disk (for boxed) in the US and shipped to the UK by MicroSnot, but blown some where in the EU. In fact the US stuff is blown in china.

The only legitimate answer is the cost of business. That one might be legit, but the companies we are talking about are robbing us all anyway. US prices go up to cover losses in EU, but EU prices go up as well. That seems like double dipping to me.

Now I need another drink.