Estimated release date for Windows V1

Hi all,

I’m enjoying the Windows beta copy – even sharing it with friends – and was wondering whether the developers had an estimated date for the official V1 version?

I’ve scoured the products pages and the forums, but I could not locate a target date. (Rumor has it those are good for productivity, or so my boss tells me). Of course, software development is a fickle mistress, so estimates are only so useful. But alas, I’m a little nervous to dive too deeply into a real writing project, with the beta software’s time-limits looming, and little sense of what will happen on expiration, and when the real product will be ready.

Cheers,
IAKC

Hi,

Thanks for trying out Scrivener and spreading the word! We’re looking at the end of summer, so in the next couple of months. Lee’s plowing through bug fixes and other improvements, and when the next beta release is out at the end of this month we should have a fairly good idea how much is left to do before the official release. More features and tweaks will continue after 1.0 is out, of course, so right now it’s mostly just fixing the bugs still lingering and making sure it’s up to snuff for a commercial release, since we want to have the best product possible when it hits the market. Free public betas will continue to be available up to the 1.0 release (at which point the 30-day trial will kick in), so you should never lose access to your work. (Note also that your writing in Scrivener is stored as RTF documents, so even without Scrivener you can still extract your text in a pinch.)

I've scoured the products pages and the forums, but I could not locate a target date. (Rumor has it those are good for productivity, or so my boss tells me).

Lies, I tell you! Lies!

I wouldn’t worry…unless you’re using dropbox with the file open on two computers simultaneously or any other risky behavior, you should be reasonably safe. Even when one version liked to crash a lot, I don’t think I lost anything, and I’m using the windows version with a windows API (wine) on an OS that isn’t really supported (linux). :smiley:

That having been said, it’s still in beta. Back up your work. Batteries not included. Void where prohibited. Offer not valid in all 50 states. For topical use only. Some assembly required, and any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

[size=50]* Serving suggestion only.[/size]

[size=50]Do not taunt happy fun ball. If Happy Fun Ball begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.[/size]