Etc. & auto-capitalization

Could we have a checkbox in Scrivener / Preferences / Corrections / Auto-Capitalization that disables auto-capitalization of the first word following “etc.”?

Edit: and also “e.g.” and “i.e.” and their ilk.

Or does this functionality exist elsewhere? (If so, I don’t turn it up doing a help search.)

Thanks…

One solution – primitive but effective – is to turn off Auto-Cap and use Shift + (desired letter) at the beginning of each sentence.

ps

1 Like

Hi Ed,

That’s too much of an assumption for software to make, I’m afraid, since “etc.” often ends a sentence and “i.e.” and “e.g.” usually start a sentence with capitalisation afterwards. You’ll find the same issue in most programs, including Word and Pages. What you can do, though, is just hit cmd-Z as soon as anything gets capitalised that you don’t want capitalising, as that will undo the capitalisation.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Keith

clutches pearls Oh heavens; making our own capitals? By hand!? We are not savages. :neutral_face:

1 Like

I hate auto-capitalisation! It’s one of the first things I turn off – precisely because there are so many cases when it makes inappropriate changes.

M.

But like the primitive spill chuckers of yesteryear, auto-capitalization will none-the-less be expected and relied upon by the next generation of computer users. Damned kids these days!

1 Like

Exactly! Can’t we just evolve the English language to make capitalization after abbr. The accepted norm.

Great point. You’d wind up with just the opposite problem. But…you do realize that none of us use Word anymore, right? :smiley:

Everyone else: I learned how to type on an actual typewriter when I was in junior high, and it’s never even OCCURRED to me not to hit shift-whatever when I start a new sentence. But imagine the possibilities (flutters fingers maniacally)…muhahahaha.

1 Like