Example books

Are there any example books that have been “scrivenered”?

I see in some of the videos ways people ave created their books. Are there any downloads available of books that have been broken down in Scrivener that we can explore and see how a book looks in Scrivener?

I’m sorry if there is a word for this I just don’t know it. I’ve searched Google and can’t find anything but then again I don’t know exactly what to call what it is I’m looking for.

Thanks. I’m new to the program but I think it’s awesome.

The source project for the Scrivener user manual is freely available. It’s a little older than the PDF copies, but for an example of a technical work, that’s okay.

And it depends on what you mean. There are a fair few self-published e-books on Amazon that were entirely created in Scrivener, and that might show you what Scrivener can do in that regard. But traditionally published authors - authors whose books adorn the shelves of your local bookshop - write in Scrivener and export to standard manuscript format. Their publishers then deal with the typesetting and suchlike. Thus, most published books written in Scrivener won’t show what a book looks like when it leaves Scrivener. If you want to self-publish, Scrivener can produce decent looking text for services such as CreateSpace, though. I would look at the novel project templates, which provides presets for this and includes example PDFs showing how this would look.

All the best,
Keith

You might like to look at:

https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/novel-in-a-day-2-the-revenge/19163/1

in which there are links to the Kindle, Mobi, PDF versions results of the NIAD 2 (Novel in a Day) event this year, together with the .scriv project which Pigfender used to bring it all together and compile it.

Mark

Oh, and sorry if I misunderstood. I thought you were looking for an example of what a book might look like structurally, in Scrivener, rather than the end products of what have come from Scrivener (at some point in the publication process). The book that Mark linked to is set up to work with Windows out of the box, but if you main curiosity is to see examples of how people have put together material in the binder, what features they use to organise the pieces, how many pieces they use, and so forth—then the compile settings don’t really matter as much. It’s the structure and that will be the same no matter which platform you open the .scriv on.

Something we do have in mind to do is to take popular public domain books and do little “What would Dickens do with Scrivener” exercises that would be made available on the web site—essentially to provide exactly this sort of service. I would say most people will develop their own working patterns, and that even from book to book their usage of the program may drift, so there are no right ways to do things, but when you are starting out it can be nice to see some examples of what the software can do for you as an author, as information that you can use to build your own theory of using the software.

Actually, reading the op’s post again, I think it is me that misunderstood, not you. :slight_smile:

AmberV, the ‘Dickens using Scrivener’ sounds like a great hobby, I would love to see them.

Maybe we users could chime in, showing how we would each structure the same public-domain work differently.

Sounds neat, except that it would be constructed backwards (start with a finished work and then “pretend” to be writing it). If you really want to see how to use Scrivener for writing fiction, check out David Hewson’s book amazon.com/Writing-Novel-Scr … +scrivener

… or Gwen Hernandez’s book amazon.com/Scrivener-For-Dum … 1118312473

I’m sure they’ll actually go into detail on how an author might make good use of Scrivener’s general-purpose writing tools. Best of all, you can get them now!

Thanks for the responses!

Actually xlamenese your link was right on! I was looking for what a book looks like in Scrivener thus showing the process like AmberV mentioned.

AmberV what you describe would be a great project and is exactly what I was doing such a poor job in describing. Can’t wait to see it when it’s done.

Thanks,