Example why Scriv needs plugins/macros/AppleScript

Not long ago I came across a nice MS Word macro that ran through a document highlighting all weak verbs, awkward prepositions, and other aspects of writing to double check.

It would be very nice to be able to write a macro/AppleScript/plugin to extend Scrivener for this functionality…as it is, I have to copy text out, then keep both windows open to compare/correct, etc.

I think if Scrivener had a plugin system, macro system, AppleScript support, and/or all three, a companion community of extensions would make the platform even more valuable.

Have you tried AutoHotkey scripting? AHK is a full fledged language with a well-established community and codebase. It readily integrates with Scrivener’s screens and data. One of Scrivener’s great advantages for tinkerers is that its binder database is continually rewritten to an XML file as we work, its contents readable as a single string that we can parse as needed. Much easier than interrogating half a dozen binary-encoded tables in SQLite, for example.

I’d recommend searching this forum for AutoHotkey script examples. If nothing else, you should be able to use AHK to copy selected text out of Scrivener, then load, float and drive the Word tool over your editing window.

Rgds – Jerome

“AutoHotkey is a free, open-source custom scripting language for Microsoft Windows,”

I’m on Mac :smiley:

There are ways - e.g., Alfred - but it’d be nice to do all the work in Scriv.

Ah, sorry. Your profile indicated Windows. – JJS