Examples of outlines in scrivener?

Hi!

Obviously new here :wink:

I’m an outline person. I can’t help it …

Many years ago, I started working with Maxthink, the author of which is credited with inventing hyperlinks. Unfortunately, recent versions are very unstable on my computers and I’ve been looking for a reliable tool

Are there any tutorials or videos or else chronicling how somebody begins a new project in outline mode and fleshes out an entire complete document inside scrivener?

Tips, comments, ridicule are all welcome …

TIA

If you are still debating or researching Scrivener, keep in mind that a free full featured evaluation copy is available to download and try. I think it is limited to 30 uses… with each use being as long as you wish. Try it out. Same should hold true for most any other writing/outlining tool out there.

Basically, Scrivener lets you build a project up out of folders and documents and lets you view all/some of that, as desired, in document or corkboard or outline mode. See last paragraph of this note for brief discussion of what’s underneath.

The binder (left column) is the outline, in concise form.

For an expanded outline view, switch an editing pane to outlining mode via View > Outline or the outlining button (View the group’s subdoments in the outliner) top center of screen.
See View > Outliner Columns, for controlling which columns are displayed in outlining view.

In Scrivener Manual (Help > Scrivener Manual), see
6.3 Outlining Your Draft

See videos at
literatureandlatte.com/video.php
literatureandlatte.com/video.php?show=v154

Also go to youtube.com and do a search on “scrivener outlining” and “scrivener outliner”.

In Gwen Hernandez’s ebook/paperback Scrivener for Dummies, see
Chapter 9 Getting a High-Level View of Your Project with the Outliner

As to what’s going on underneath a Scrivener project… While the items within a Scrivener project appear to vary in form (folder, document/file, etc.), they are basically all the same “molecule” underneath, having multiple facets or attributes. They can present as (and be converted between) folders, documents/files, etc. They each have attributes such as name, synopsis, meta-data, body text and subordinate folders/files. So you wind up with a lot of flexibility as you develop, grow and organize your project. And with multiple windows/columns, you can view the same thing in more than one mode (outline and contents of one/multiple items in the outline) or multiple things at the same time. That includes a “scrivenings” view of multiple documents contents as a single concatenated/combined view. That means you can outline down to scene/paragraph or even line/sentence level, while also being able to see the result of several such when consolidated together (as for example for a chapter or act or entire manuscript view). And you can split and recombine items.