Expand/collapse node command

I use the expand and collapse commands frequently, but as far as I can tell, there is no command for one operation in particular.

I find myself wanting to selectively expand specific binder nodes, generally to their full depth. An Expand Node command would be useful at those times, to avoid having to either expand All, or having to do it manually.

Collapsing isn’t as much an issue, since if the idea is to minimize visual clutter, it’s easy enough to manually close top levels – or to collapse all to a given level, and from there manually open the desired node. But that’s exactly where Expand Node would be nice to have on a shortcut.

I think Alt-Left and Right Arrow should do what you are asking for. They will collapse or extend the outline for the selected node.

I have Alt+Left and Right assigned to Editor Previous and Next. But when I restore the default settings, those do indeed do what I’m looking for.

But in the keyboard editor, with the Scrivener default still set, I’m unable to find where those are assigned – filtering for left and right brings up a handful of assignments each, filtering for collapse and expand bring of the All and Current Level variations, and filtering for node brings up nothing.

I’m pretty sure I know the answer to this but I’ll ask anyway: Is there some way I can access those commands for reassignment without them being available through the shortcut editor?

I believe those are just built-in shortcuts, like left and right arrow to expand or collapse one level, or using up and down arrow to select items.

Thanks.

It would be good (by which I mean, really good) if all command-shortcut combos, even the apparently “just built-in” ones, were available for reassignment by the user, with the original shortcut keys then available for assignment to other commands.

This might seem like a small matter: Instead of reassigning editor history back/forward to Alt+Left/Right, reassign them elsewhere. But that would leave me with two pairs of commands (node expand/collapse, history forward/back) under undesired shortcuts. And with enough of those, the question becomes, Why bother customizing at all?

FWIW, the reason I’ve assigned history forward/back to Alt+R/L is that in all the other programs I use regularly – including all the major browsers – Alt+R/L perform those most basic and frequently used nav commands. They also fall neatly under hand. For those reasons, and others, that assignment makes more intuitive and operational sense, to me, than does a multi-row stretch. (And will make even more sense once the editor history’s forward/back buttons have right-click dropdowns that reveal the queue, making them even more analogous to browser F/B nav, which IIRC, is on the to-do list for a future update.)

Admittedly, that kind of thinking can get fairly idiosyncratic, but that’s the nature of and reason for customization.

Interesting, I see Alt-Left/Right does history navigation in browsers. I’ve never used that shortcut, always the Ctrl/Cmd-[/] pair since it can be done from the home row, or my favourite, simply z and x in Opera (before it died). It looks like, at least in Windows, Ctrl-[/] has fallen off the grid in recent times. It’s probably all Chrome’s fault, grumble. Given that all that, we should probably look into fixing this shortcut for collapse/expand node.

Well at any rate, we do want to add full menu support for keyboard customisation. The “built-ins” are tougher, as one can get a bit carried away with options there. Should for example things like navigation between words be customisable? With the argument you bring up, that absolutely and positively everything should be, yes, but it adds a whole lot of internal wiring to basic functions to do that, never mind UI considerations. As a vi veteran, I sure wouldn’t mind hjkl directional navigation over arrows, but I pretty much accept that no software lets me change basic arrow operations within it, much as I might hit the ‘j’ key five times in a row before realising nothing is happening. :slight_smile: