Expanded search

I’ve spent a while looking for this and cannot find it, so apologies if it already exists…

I am writing an essay (on a Mac) whilst referring to a separate PDF all within Scrivener. What I am trying to do is to get the search results to behave the same way that it works in Mac preview program. i.e. A list of ALL instances of the word appear in the left hand search results pane and not just the document that contains the words. I know that I can Cmd F in the document and then see each word highlighted, but this is very tedious for frequently mentioned words and the way that preview searches and displays the results seems very intuitive to me, which is why I think that I may be missing something somewhere.
Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks
Gareth

Hi Gareth,

This is on the list of possibilities for version 3.0.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Ah I’ll stop trying to find out how to do it then :slight_smile:
Thanks…

@kb, did this ever get added? Thanks for all your work!

Sorry for the belated reply, but I’m afraid not. We drew up a number of designs for it (which I still have) and hashed out a lot of ideas, but it got very complicated because we felt that it would have to show not only matches within the text, but also within metadata and the Inspector. Our drawings therefore have ideas for different icons next to each match indicating where the matches come from and so on. It never really got much further than the drawing board because we realised that it was going to take at least a month of work to do correctly and there was already many months of work on the 3.0 list (even though we actually had the necessary icons created). It’s still on my “To Do” list, but I don’t have an ETA, I’m afraid - it will be some time off in the future because all of the other things on the enormous “To Do” list. It’s still a long term aim, though - I’m sorry for any disappointment caused by this.

All the best,
Keith