Export Files v Sync with External Folder

Hi Keith,

Sorry to trouble you. Another question I can’t find an answer to. Being a very cautious sort of bloke I have Scrivener zipped backup files in various places including Dropbox but would also like to keep it backed up as accessible .rtf files etc should something unforseen happen with the application (though I have every confidence in you just the same!). Can you clarify the differences between the Export Files facility and Sync with External Folder with this in mind?

Thanks for all your help.

Mike

Export Files is best for this. Export Files exports all selected files (you can hit cmd-A in the binder to select all if you need to) and creates a folder hierarchy in the Finder roughly equivalent to the binder hierarchy.

Sync with External Folder is purely intended for taking files to another application and having any edits made brought back into Scrivener later. There is no hierarchy and only text files can be synced.

All the best,
Keith

Thanks Keith.

Mike

Just wondering if sync with some sort of hierarchy is on the agenda for the future some time. For my current project, collaboration with a (non-Scrivener) user would be perfect using the sync tool, but our draft is just too complex to manage as a flat file list.

I will just use Export and Import, as I was intending to before I discovered the amazing sync feature (didn’t even expect that). But just interested to know if even better sync is on the horizon.

Hi David,

I’m afraid not - there’s just no way of syncing a whole hierarchy without it being dangerous in terms of data-loss and messing things up. Although Scrivener’s binder hierarchy is superficially similar to a file system hierarchy, in reality it is quite different. For instance: folders and text files are no different in Scrivener, each containing text; only text files are allowed inside the Draft folder; file systems don’t allow arbitrary sorting, but only alphabetical/date or whatever; you could move things out of the file system hierarchy and bring other things in that could cause conflicts Scrivener wouldn’t know how to handle; and so on. There’s just too much opportunity for data-loss.

All the best,
Keith

Fair enough. Thanks for the quick reply. I’ll find a way to use sync anyway as it is such a neat tool.