Export Header Structure

Hi
I am starting to get familiar with Scrivener, but I struggle.
When compiling a project, say to RTF or via Multimarkdown -> RTF, I am unable to have the title hierarchy (outline) reflected in the created RTF. That should be possible, shouldn’t it?

Example:

Draft
± Document 1
± Document 2
±—Document 3

So I would expect the created RTF (or also the HTML Export) to feature these titles semantically, so an outline exists, a table of contents can be created and formatting can be applied easily. But all I get is a RTF with no structure at all, just formatted text.

Can that be changed?

Urs

Hi,

If I understand you correctly, you can set up all of this via the “Formatting” pane of Compile, by adding new formatting levels and having them indented differently. Take a look at the “Enumerated Outline” formatting preset (available from the “Formatting As” list) for an example of a compile format that indents the titles and documents to match structure.

All the best,
Keith

I can do that, but in the generated RTF, the content is still plain text with an indent and a number - I would like it to be semantically structured as a heading - so I could reformat each heading quickly and also create a table of contents.

If I were able to do all the formatting from scrivener directly, I wouldn’t need that functionality, but that’s not how my writer friend pitched Scrivener to me. He told me I could create content in scrivener and then give it a layout in some other software (ideally, LaTeX, but I’m not there yet).

What’s your suggestion for a beginner who wants to work with scrivener, but needs to print the content somehow, nicely formatted?

Hi,

Ah, you’re talking about RTF styles - I’m afraid Scrivener doesn’t support styles, so that’s not possible.

However, there’s no reason you can’t do all the formatting in Scrivener. Sure, for complex documents you may need to do some touch up in an external word processor, but that would normally be stuff like wrapping text around images, creating complex page layouts and such. Compile already allows you to format everything - you can set up Compile to format headers occurring at different levels in different ways.

It’s also possible to create a table of contents by selecting the files in the binder, using Edit > Copy Special > Copy Documents as ToC and pasting the results in a document. This will create a list of links with <$p> tags in place of page numbers, which will become a real table of contents with real page numbers when exported or printed.

All the best,
Keith

Hi Kevin

thanks for your quick replies!

Ah, pity. Not in particular regarding RTF, but overall I would expect it to produce a structured output (I’m a web designer: also when exporting to HTML I would expect headers to appear as h1, h2 etc.).

That’s good news for me! Thanks for the ToC hint.

Best Regards
Urs

Who he, and why is he always taking credit for my replies? :slight_smile:

It’s on the list for the future (3.0 or above), as it comes up from time to time, but given Scrivener’s multi-document nature and me being a single programmer, it’s an enormous task.

However, you can already export headers to HTML using

etc. You can choose a heading level in the “Formatting” pane of Compile for the various elements, for HTML and e-book formats.

All the best,
Keith

Who he, and why is he always taking credit for my replies? :slight_smile:

I now understand. Well, that’s maybe a little self induced :smiley:

That’s not fair - I put “not Kevin” at the end because I always got called Kevin anyway; it just hasn’t helped! :slight_smile: