Export option underline to italics

I know it’s possible to convert italics to underline on export. I wonder if it would be possible to have the option to do the reverse. So those of us writing in monospaced typewriter fonts can use italics for underline in Scrivener but have this reformatted as italics when exported to a Word file in Arial or something.
To be honest I don’t know how publishers feel about underlines in place of italics these days. Newer editors will only have seen word processed manuscripts most of which will have italics. I’d prefer to deliver that. It can be done as a format search and replace in Word of course. The one major downside to that is it involves using Word.

Curious. It never occurred to me that anyone would want to go the other way. I’ve added it as a 2.0 possibility but can’t promise anything as it’s one of those things that will take a bit of fiddling with the interface on an aspect of the interface (Compile Draft) I seem to have spent months fiddling with.
All the best,
Keith

Not worth a load of work, Keith. As I said you can do it through Word. To be honest I don’t know why anyone would want to change italics to underline. I’ve never delivered an MS with underlines for italics in 15 years or been asked for one.
Cheers
David

I wondered if that was the sort of thing that was still required of manuscripts, to be honest. As I say, I’ve added the reverse as a possibility to the list, though, so it just depends on time (otherwise it may make it into a post 2.0 minor update).
All the best,
Keith

I can’t see how underline would be required any more. Given that the book is set from the doc file they would have to change it back to italics anyway. But I don’t think it’s a big deal either way.

PS - just so you know, this all came out of a Twitter conversation with Michael Marshall Smith detailed here…

davidhewson.com/blog/2009/03 … iting.html

Given that I like that P22 font, I think I may well be adding the option to convert underlines to italics…
Thanks for that!
All the best,
Keith

Welcome as always - I have converted the whole of my current book, now chasing 100k words, to P22. It looks fantastic on full screen in Scrivener, honest. Absolutely hooked.

I just wrote my 500 words of the day using P22 in full screen at 110% and I loved it. It’s also decent for printing out and editing on paper. So given that I am now using underlines for italics, you can bet the underlines-to-italics feature will definitely make it into 2.0!
Thanks again,
Keith

The secret of getting features into Scrivener is thus revealed… :wink:

Have you stopped to consider just what you’re doing here? Bad enough that I had to get Keyclick, so that writing would SOUND the way it always did… back in those good old days… when I was young and computers were the size of garages… and back-up meant keeping a carbon copy. Bad enough, I say. Now you’ve gone and done it: forced me to track down and install a font which makes my writing LOOK the way it always did… back in those good old days… when I was – well, you get the point. What next? Shall I have to track down and buy a keyboard which recaptures the FEEL of an old Smith-Corona? And after that (perhaps not all at once, but eventually, eventually) actually track down and buy an old typewriter? And carbon paper, and big envelopes, and stamps…?

Now that I think about it, maybe it’s not such a bad idea. The computer’s contribution to literature has been an exponential increase in bad prose and a geometric increase in mediocre prose, but no obvious increase in good prose. (My own, alas, included.)

And don’t even think about the effect on that which is gratuitously termed poetry. It will make the inside of your head hurt.

Yeah, it’s okay. Go ahead. Do your worst.

Ned Ludd

Carbon paper? Oh yes. And the smell of cyclostyler fluid and Tippex. Oh baby, mmmm, want…
I have no idea why but I wrote twice as much today as I did yesterday, pre P22 Typewriter. Insane.

Thanks to David, I’ve installed P22 Typewriter.

However, I realize that if I switch to Typewriter now, I’ll lose all the italics I’ve previously embedded in my book. So now I stand here like Tantalus, chest-deep in my 80% complete novel, P22 Typewriter dangling like a bunch of grapes above my head, just out of reach.

Next book, then. Bring on the Typewriter-friendly 2.0!

Yes, you will lose all your existing italics. This doesn’t bother me because I am pre-revise with the MS and in my books there’s always an argument about what to italicise and what to leave when it comes to foreign words (don’t ask). Will be no bad thing for me to go through and confirm what I really want to emphasise. Also doing it as an underline makes it a braver decision somehow - you need to be really sure.
I did have an argument with a Really (Self) Important American Writer on a panel once who said you should never use italics. Or adverbs. Or punctuation beyond full stops and commas. I disagreed somewhat if I recall.

I’ve run into similar R(S)IAWs; persons, anyhow, who are really really against adverbs and – you guessed it! – seriously opposed to the more interesting punctuation marks.

As for Tippex: have a care.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/tippex-kids-fined-for-correcting-americas-missing-apostrophes-907226.html

But we are American. If we are not important no one is†.

I am finally finding the arrogance of American’s nearly unbearable. Before it was just annoying. When your “poor” population complains because they only have a PS2 and not a new PS3 it is time to consider assisting them to a world that is beyond this one.

† For those uninitiated to my humor, welcome to the. <-- Which mean that up there is a joke.

Msieur Phil, quest bonne prose?
Le D :smiling_imp:

Well, I’ve never made any secret of how the best way to get a feature into Scrivener is make me want it for my writing… I mean, if I started rejecting my own wish list features then something would be very wrong.

As for carbon paper and the rest of the Ludditism going on in this thread, well, we all know that technology is inherently evil. I learned this from the Battlestar Galactica finale. (No, I’m still over how bad it was, and a whole week has passed.)

Or you would be living in my world. I actually rejected my own implementation plan. At the time I forgot that I had submitted it to the project team that was presenting it. That was a bit embarrassing.

Is there a pattern to be discerned on these forums? A general one I mean? Seven or eight posts on the subject and then… kazooom… we’re off to Margate or somewhere?
Not a complaint you understand. Merely an observation.