Export to custom Microsoft Word templates

My publisher demands that I submit my drafts in a specific word template, and now I basically export to word, copy all text and then paste without formatting in the template document. Then I have to go through paragraph by paragraph to set the correct formatting (headings level 1-6, normal text, quotations, etc).

Is there anyway that I can map my scrivener presets to certain word formats?

It would be easier to use Word’s tool to select all similar text and then apply the stylesheet to the bulk selection at once. That way you’d only have to do a half a dozen or so operations to fix the entire manuscript. One to hit all of the chapter titles, another for all body text, etc.

But to answer your question, no, Scrivener isn’t even aware of the fact that you may have at one point used a formatting preset. Those are just stored attributes that get “painted” onto text when you use them. These compile documents have no innate stylesheets, they are appearance-only.

Hi,
I really do believe that better inter-operability between Scrivener and Word is the most important thing missing right now. It severely diminishes Scrivener’s advantages if so much time is wasted moving to and from Word, which is, for better or worse, a standard in many places. To make matters worse, its also the type of thing you do very close to your deadline, when added stress isn’t necessary…

Until, if (?) that happens however, would it be possible to help us out with some minor adjustments? I tend to have one text document in the draft called styles. Inside, I just have all my preset styles, one for each paragraph with their respective names in one page, so that I don’t have to go looking through the whole manuscript in Word to ‘select and apply style’. It works well. However, there doesn’t seem to be a way to do something similar for the ‘compile settings’ styles (i.e. Header levels, footnotes, etc). It would be great if there was an option in scrivener to just output an example page with all these compile styles for easy selection in Word - or, have them accessible in the editor somehow so we could do it ourselves. Selecting and applying styles in one pre-defined page is much faster, and less prone to one missing something, than looking through a long manuscript.

Also, I understand that for those who want to take advantage of stylesheets, the best bet is to compile to Open Office ODF, and then save as Word. It would be great if Lit & Lat could make a tutorial in their blog on this. At the moment, the manual is a bit confusing in this area, primarily because there are so many export/compile formats available.

Best,
joao

Wouldn’t it be no more work to take the final output examples of these compiler added styles and add them to your style page? I’d go so far as to say this would be the kind of thing you do once and maybe revise now and then over a period of years. Given that you are not looking for Scrivener to produce the final output (just to have a document with discrete formatting structures so that it can be swiftly converted to a stylesheet template), then you needn’t ever really mess with the presets and compile formatting once you’ve got it locked down. You can just go on using that style page and those settings for many projects to come, and waste no time on it.

I’m not sure what you are referring to, perhaps what you have heard of is MultiMarkdown? That syntax, which is similar to writing in Markdown—no formatting; everything is plain text codes—has an OpenOffice format export that is fully wired up with stylesheets, proper cross-references and so on. Scrivener has a convenience method for compiling to this format, but we don’t really have anything to do with the production of that format, so there isn’t much to say about it beyond the fact that this integration exists and what it is capable of. If one wishes to learn MultiMarkdown, they would need to research the documentation for it. We do point out where one can go to do that in the relevant chapter of the user manual.

Like I say though, that means writing using syntax for formatting—no more bold and italics.

Thanks,

I’m not sure how I would do this. My style page resides inside the scrivener document. Do you mean create ‘preset styles’ that are identical to the compiler added styles? By copying and pasting from a compiled rtf I presume?

I forgot the ODF path involved MMD. I am comfortable working with markdown on a tablet (forced to), but dont see the point otherwise. If I choose to export via MMD to ODF, does the entire scrivener document have to be written in markdown? Or can scrivener automatically transform any rich text it encounters along the way into markdown? I’m a bit concerned that since Scrivener isn’t actually a plain text editor, a lot of rich text formatting may end up in a long scrivener document simply because I forgot I was meant to write in MD.

Yes, the latter, I wouldn’t go the extra mile of making presets, as you won’t be otherwise using them. If I understand you correctly you just have a reference sheet in your Binder with some example texts, styled with the presets you use. So to get the compiled formats as well, just compile to RTF and then copy and paste those into your reference sheet.

Precisely, and as for the point, some people prefer working that way even when they are not forced to. :slight_smile: You may be interested to know the Scrivener & Scapple user manuals are entirely written in MMD syntax.

That wouldn’t happen because the compiler strips all formatting out when compiling to the MMD formats. There are two exceptions to that: embedded graphics and footnotes/comments. These will be converted to appropriate syntax for you (with the graphics exported so they will be picked up by the ODT format), but the rest will be discarded, making the rich text features of the software useful for annotation and personal usage instead of document design. So with the exception of those two things, you treat the intended output as plain-text.

Again it’s all point of taste at this point in time. With the exception of stylesheets in word processor output, and e-books (which MMD cannot easily do right now), the two workflows are quite similar in capability, so it really comes down to what you are comfortable working with.

I think one of the concerns here is that if you forget to use MMD, but use bold and italic instead, then the output lacks that markup. It would be nice if there were an option to have Scrivener add the appropriate markup when selecting italics or bold (or CMD-i/CMD-b).

Hmm, I wonder if there’s a way to do that with presets and re-defined keyboard shortcuts…

Not automatically at this point. There is the Format/Convert/Bold and Italics to MultiMarkdown Syntax menu command, which can clean up text pasted in or accidentally formatted as rich text.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. If there are plans to enable this kind of tagging/formatting, I’d like to be able to hit CMD-i (or any other keyboard shortcut, even if I have to define it myself) and get this kind of output. The advantage being that for MMD newbies, it’s clear that single *s create italics, and **s create bold. The *s could be stripped out of the text for non-MMD output types via the replacements section if desired.

It’s not certain. We already have automatic bold & italic conversion for the rich text formats (Transformations pane). This is mainly so people who have typed portions of their work into an iPad or something and have sporadically used Markdown can avoid worrying about converting their asterisks to rich text (and incidentally gives those who prefer it a better way to make e-books). A more complete implementation could some day appear, though the primary impetus for such a conversion module has become less important, given advances in iOS7.

If you want a fairly intuitive “word processor feeling” typing interface, MMD Composer (by Fletcher Penney) is a pretty nice tool. Otherwise Keyboard Maestro has some Markdown prefabs which work decently well (though all as retroactive edits where you select and then “italicise” rather than italicise as you work).