Export to .mobi strips out italics.

Hi
Until recently, exporting to .mobi file and reading on my Kindle has worked fine. With the new update, any words or phrases formatted in italics in Scrivener have the italics stripped out when the file is exported as a .mobi file. Exported to a Word.docx file, the italics are still there. This is a new issue, I believe. Changing the reading font on my Kindle doesn’t correct the error.

Thanks

Can’t agree more with you

Hi keithyd

I was not able to reproduce this, or rather, I was able to compile italics without problem. Which compile format are you using when compiling to .mobi ? And are any of the options checked under the gear icon to the right of the compile panel? I’d like to track down what is causing this for you.

Thanks.

Sorry for the late reply … This happened when I used an edited Ebook format (Ebook copy), which I was using because I’d changed the format of the ‘Chapter’ style. When I went back to the standard Ebook format, the italics started working again. I now have a problem with Styles - I created a style for a subheading which is centred, bold, 10 points, Palatino font. I created it by formatting a subheading then creating a style based on the formatted text - then applied it to all the headings I wanted to format like this. It kinda works, but the font size isn’t 10 pt - it looks about 13 pt, because my standard text is 11pt and this is a point or two larger. The styles seem very haphazard at the moment and I can’t always get things to look how I want. My title page, for example, is formatted with the title at 48 points, but it looks no larger than about 16 when compiled to mobi. The only way I can get it to show any large text is to use ‘Code span’ with ‘Centered text’ and then pump up the font size.

If you aren’t sure where the problem started, it might be a good idea to share your compile format so we can take a look at it.

As for font sizes, there isn’t much use for fixed size unit measurements in ebooks, like points. Sizes will be converted to relative measurements based upon the paragraph text being assumed as “1.0”, which is itself not declared as having a size at all, and left entirely up to the ebook reader. How Scrivener calculates the relative size measurement is by using the point size in the editor or compile settings (12pt by default for Ebook). Hence a 24pt heading will have a relative size of “2.0”.

I would recommend enabling source file output in the General Options compile format pane, and looking at the actual book code itself rather than trying to guess at what is going on and thinking of things in terms of point number sizes (or open the book in Sigil/Calibre editor, if you prefer). If the material has the correct relative measurements for sizes, but the book reader doesn’t seem to be responding to them, then what you may be looking at isn’t a “problem” in Scrivener, but rather hard-cap limits on how the reader hardware or software works with font scaling.

Lastly, you are never subject to the whims of the software’s interpretation of your settings, with the CSS pane. If you put a style like “Book Title” on the cover page, then add a line of CSS like this:

.book-title { font-size: 4.0rem; }

That said, things should be working roughly as expected, so more information on how to reproduce what you’re seeing would be helpful.