Exporting bulleted lists for Nisus

When I export a Scrivener document either straight away as RTF, or prepare it as MultiMarkdown->RTF, and then open the RTF in Nisus Writer Pro 1.1, my bulleted lists

• One
• Two


?. One
?. Two

When I open it in TextEdit, the bullets are whatever I set in Scrivener. Is it a Nisus problem, and even if so, is there a way to instruct Scrivener to export an RTF which opens in Nisus immediately with the right bullets?

The problem of changing the styles in Nisus is that for every list, a new style is created, so editing the styles takes the time proportional to the number of lists, which may be too much!

This is actually a bug in the Apple RTF export system - which was explained to me by Martin at Nisus, in fact. Both Martin and myself have reported the bug to Apple. It turns out the the Apple RTF exporter makes an error in how it formats the bullets syntax in the RTF, which means that other programs don’t understand them - so if you open up an RTF file created in Scrivener, or TextEdit, or other programs that use the OS X text system, in a program such as Nisus, Mellel or Word (which use their own - more correct - RTF importers/exporters) you will see that the bullets aren’t recognised properly. The good news is that Martin pointed out to me where the error in the Apple export lay, and I have hacked into this for the next update so that bullets should now export correctly from Scrivener into other programs. Because I am only hacking into the Apple exporter (I have no intention of writing my own exporter, which would be a massive job), it’s not perfect and may fail in more complicated hierarchical lists, but for the majority of cases it should work fine.
Hope that helps.
All the best,

For some reason, Mellel (2.5) imports the Scrivener-exported RTF lists just fine.

Most likely because they account for Apple’s dodgy export code. What I told you above is absolutely true. :slight_smile:

Again, as I have discussed multiple times in mutiple places, I don’t use RTF. MMD’s RTF “support” consists of using Apple’s textutil tool to convert XHTML into RTF.

However, the XSLT approach I used to convert XHTML into LaTeX can also be used to convert to proper RTF formatting. It would not be particularly difficult, and would simply require that someone (or group of someone’s) create the appropriate conversion templates. Years ago I wrote some scripts to generate RTF from plaintext for a resume program, and it wasn’t particularly difficult.

If this approach was used, RTF created by MMD would be possible in Windows, could contain proper footnotes (aren’t footnotes a feature in RTF), and whatever was requested. Since RTF is actually a plain text file, it’s easy to do.

A similar approach could be made with creating documents from MMD for OpenOffice Writer. I looked into this, and unfortunately the OOffice format is needlessly complex for simple documents.