Exporting for Localization

We sent our script off to the voice actors (who did a fantastic job) and now it’s time to take all the dialog in the script and export it for localization.

Is there functionality to template the export function?

Eg. The best formatting for us to use is just plain .txt as it doesn’t preserve anything from the script or PDFs, but I’d like to be able to have it export a scene with CHARNAME, lorem ipsum dolor.

Or Charname followed by a number counter, then the dialog.

Does that functionality exist? If anyone is already doing this for games, do you have your own more elegant solution?

If we can export the dialog into a format that can be parsed into a spreadsheet it will mean not having to re-format hundreds or thousands of lines by hand. Fingers crossed.

In a copy of your Scrivener project, a Regular Expression could select all dialogue as text between quotes, replacing that with the same text with character name and number added. Another RegEx could remove all other text.

It will be hard to determine who’s speaking, though. You might have to guess a lot of times.

The result could be compiled to Plain Text. If you could manage to output valid CSV, importing in spreadsheet software would work.

It’s a challenge and would be impressive when you pull this off.

Doesn’t Final Cut have this kind of functionality?

Hmm. I’ll have to experiment :slight_smile:

If Final Draft has it natively, that could justify the cost for the projects I’ll be working on :slight_smile:

I might be able to create a python script that parses the .txt exports into CSVs as well. Will have to look into that.

1. You can also set your Compile settings to retain the script category tags as styles in your output. This means you could compile the script to Word as an interim step and then do search and destructive replace on styled types (e.g. scene desc) you don’t want to see.

2. Since Compile settings can also simply quash text assigned to particular styles, you might be able to do the whole thing in compile w/o using Word as above. Whether you can depends on the order of processing of the compiler. When I get a minute, I’ll run a test to see if I can make that work.