External diagrams + scrivener workflow?

My diagrams will exist in their native editor format + a image format like PNG. Any recommendations on how I incorporate this diagramming into my Scrivener workflow? e.g. Use scrivener “Import” into the research folder? Just the PNG? Also the native editor file?

Do I have any control over the file-name of these files?

Is there (or will there be in the next release) a way to manipulate these via Applescript? e.g. I would like to write a script to automatically check if the source diagram file is newer than the image file, and to automatically re-generate and re-import the image file into Scrivener when needed.

Thanks - Sophie

I just import PNGs, too. Sometimes I will link to the source file itself using references attached to the section it represents, if it is something that changes often. I don’t get the benefit of having it loaded into a split, but an OmniGraffle file running beside Scrivener is always going to be more useful to me, as these things tend to be very “two-way” in that as I work in Scrivener, I update my model in OG.

The AppleScript ideas are good ones. There is a thread for AS suggestions, you might want to append your thoughts to that thread so that it is all in one place, but I think everything required to make that functional has already been suggested in that thread.

Thanks.

“Edit->Insert->Image From File” gives a very convenient visible image (e.g. of pdf). However, it seems to only work with external files. I cannot figure out how to do this with a file that is imported into Scrivener (I need them in Scrivener to use Text->Scrivener Link for mmd images). Any idea why?

– Sophie

I must say I am a touch confused. I do not get any kind of special treatment from the Edit>Insert>Image from File option. I just get a standard OSX file selection dialogue box. The Scrivener link menu is just a sub-sub-…-menu set up to imitate the Binder hierarchy, and I’m not sure how image previews could be placed into a menu without making it exceptionally awkward. But, as an alternate interface, I suppose a reasonable feature request would be to allow option-dragging from the Corkboard into a document and having it create a link. Then you could leave your media up in a split and just drop stuff in.

Meanwhile, you could just do that, and cross-reference the Corkboard names with the link menu by sight. Oh, incidentally you can access thus menu via the contextual menu by right clicking in the editor. Saves me a little time.

---- Edit

I see what you mean now. I have had my file picker set to “list mode” for so long that I forgot it even came in columns (with that handy preview).

Sorry if I was unclear. I was just looking for a way to include a pdf image from the Research folder directly (i.e. inline) into a scrivener document. I can only find a way to include a link.

Edit->Insert->Image From File puts the image inline.

Thanks - Sophie

I’m afraid that won’t work because the RTFD format (which is what Scrivener is using transparently) doesn’t support embedded arbitrary media that I know of. I have only ever seen RTFD based applications offering image support.

In all fairness, RTFD itself does support embedded PDFs, QuickTime files and other media - that is perhaps the only extension Apple added to the RTF format to make it RTFD (hence the need for the directory format) - even though the RTFD format over all supports far fewer features than RTF. However, within Scrivener, although it uses the RTFD format under the hood, it only supports embedded images, not PDF or QuickTime files, when dragging from the binder (although you can drag in PDF files from the Finder, which seems to be an omission on my part).
Best,
Keith

I stand corrected, I have never seen this done in any application. Images, links, and file icon style linking/embedding are all I’ve seen, where clicking on the embedded file opens it up in a viewing application. You can actually put a functional PDF into an RTF document, though? How does that work, does it include a QuickLook style abbreviated set of paging functions?

Try dragging a PDF file from the Finder into TextEdit. As I say, it will only be retained if you export to RTFD. And it’s not much good for printing it off, either, as you get a scrollbar within the document to move around the PDF file so you will end up printing only part of the PDF file and a picture of the scroll bar next to it… I don’t actually see much point in embedding PDF files (and even less QuickTime files) inside a text document, so to me, this feature of RTFD is a bit of a gimmick rather than a really useful feature…
Best,
Keith

Funny. I guess the notion of putting a text document inside of a text document (rather than the text of the document into the text of the document) never occurred to me. I could see movies being of use, though, in say a tutorial document or some other “illustrated” guide for that matter. Naturally, not for print, but as a digital work-while-you-read guide,

I was thinking something much more mundane. A PDF of a diagram.

Best - Sophie