External Link Identification

I know how to link a word or phrase from another program within Scrivener. What I don’t know, and can’t seem to find any information on, is how to accurately identify the originally sourced URL, for example, theguardian.com/uk.

Sure, I can “Copy Special” but if I do that for the link I just get an internal link starting out like x-scrivener-item:///Users/.

Anybody out there that can help me?

Thanks in anticipation,

Stuart

If you right-click the link, you’ll get a context menu the first few items of which are things like Copy Link, Edit Link, Delete Link. If you choose Edit link, you’ll see the original url.

No, sorry, if I right click on the link I only get ‘Remove Link’ as a viable option. That’s at the top of a long list but is the only relevant one. Edit or delete link do not exist.

When you highlight the link in Safari and right-click it you have the command ‘Copy link’

In Scrivener the command is Edit -> Add link (I don’t have a right-click popup-menu item for that)

If you then right-click the link you get all the alternatives ScriverTid listed.

What steps are you taking to end up with only ‘Delete link’?

We may be talking at cross purposes here. I’ve already setup the link in Scrivener to an external page in Safari. When I do what ScrivenerTid suggested I just get this:-

with ‘Remove Link’ at the top but no other references to ‘Edit Link’ below.

Yes, that’s what you posted in your first post, but I asked about how you entered the link.

… because no matter how I try, I can’t get the menu you have, without Open, Copy, Edit.

We’re still at cross purposes, but to satisfy your curiosity I highlight said text where I want to generate the link going up to the Edit menu on the menu bar like thus:-

and then

…but like I said when I then right-click on the ‘linked’ word or phrase I just get the option to ‘Remove Link’ out of the contextual menu.

… and no matter what I do, I always get the complete contextual menu.

What version of Scrivener are you running?

2.8.1.2 – the latest! What do you think I could be doing wrong?

Let’s be clear, I have no problem running a Safari linked page in Scrivener. What I do have a problem with is if I want to know the source URL of the page. I’m currently using Scrivener to set up a book project called, ‘Unlearning’ and I have to use a lot of source material. I only discovered today when I was posting up some of this material that I couldn’t get to the original URL to replicate the link on my website.

Thanks for all your ongoing support on this Lunk :slight_smile:

Stuart

If it’s any help (probably not) this is the menu I was talking about:

I’m using Scrivener 2.5 in OS X Mavericks so it’s not an identical setup to yours.

Wait a second… did you copy and add an external URL, pointing to a web page, or did you import a web page into the Research part of Scrivener and then try to link to that? I don’t understand what you mean by “running a Safari linked page in Scrivener”.

No, like I said I’m running Scrivener 2.8.1.2 and the upper part of the contextual menu is quite different.

I am running the latest version and my menu looks like ScriverTid’s, so it must be something else.

I notice that the screenshot above shows “Scrivener link >” about halfway down, whereas mine doesn’t. Are you quite sure you haven’t inadvertently created a Scrivener link instead of an external link?

ScrivenerTid is running 2.5 so it’s not the latest version. Anyway, I’ve resolved the issue. When you drag a Safari page into Scrivener it doesn’t give you the option to source the original URL. It’s only when you go via File>Import>Webpage, do you have the right-click contextual menu which gives you the option to Open the ‘Original URL in Browser’. I’ve supplied the visuals so that you can see what I’m referring to below:-

So I basically found it at the same time? :slight_smile:

Adding an external url and importing web pages are quite different things.

Ah. This is a different kettle of fish. Your earlier screenshots and messages appeared to be talking about “Add Link…” the usual way (by highlighting text, then Add Link, then adding the url) which would give the right-click options that lunk and I got. You’re actually now talking about the actual import of a webpage not the creation of a link.

Anyway, glad it’s sorted.

Apparently so Lunk, very confusing. Especially when the third party, ScrivenerLind is operating on an older version of Scrivener. I’m glad you discovered the anomaly at the same time :slight_smile: We’re in sync :slight_smile:

Always was. Anyway, you’re working with an older version of Scrivener with different contextual menus.