Extra line at top of text files

Hi! Scrivener appears to insert a blank line at the top of every text file which I cannot remove. When I put the cursor in front of my first character, it shows up as a double high cursor, and like I say, there’s nothing I can do to get rid of it. Then when I compile (I’ve tried .rtf and .doc) I get an extra blank paragraph there. I can remove them manually in word. This is OK for now but will be a showstopper when I eventually compile my 180-page manuscript. Is this a bug or have I set something up wrong?

I have tried various different settings in the Separator tab under compile, but the result is always the same.

Thanks for any help!

The empty line you get when you compile is probably unrelated. Check the Separators compile option pane and see if any of those are set up to insert empty lines. Typical default has text-to-text files separated this way as that is a common way to set scenes apart.

As for the strange space at the top, do you have a top margin set up in the Editor option tab? Other possibility, check the spacing settings for the paragraph at the top of the document. Check and see if it is set up to insert any padding prior to the paragraph. I suspect the latter, due to your report that the cursor is extra-tall.

Check the Separators compile option pane and see if any of those are set up to insert empty lines.
I have them all set to “Custom” with the custom field left blank. How would you recommend setting them if I don’t want it to add anything between files? I’ve tried putting a * * * * * separator in that custom field, and I still wind up with an extra line after the separator.

As for the strange space at the top, do you have a top margin set up in the Editor option tab?
Where do I find that menu? Couldn’t figure it out readily from your manual.

Other possibility, check the spacing settings for the paragraph at the top of the document.
I positioned the cursor in front of my first character. The button in the bar at the top of the editor says 2.0x. I selected “More” from the pulldown menu and it says 0.00pt spacing before and after the paragraph…

IDK!

Ahh! I just realized it puts that double-high cursor in front of every paragraph cuz I have them doublespaced, so you’re right, the two things are unrelated.

Still looking for a solution to the extra line breaks after the separator when I compile, though.

Check the Separators compile option pane and see if any of those are set up to insert empty lines.
I have them all set to “Custom” with the custom field left blank. How would you recommend setting them if I don’t want it to add anything between files? I’ve tried putting a * * * * * separator in that custom field, and I still wind up with an extra line after the separator.

The extra space when compiling is a bug, Lee’s got it on the radar. What you’d want to use is just “Single return”, which should stitch your documents together seamlessly, with a new document following the previous just like the next paragraph. Right now though there is that extra blank line being added in RTF-based compile in most cases, so that’s not quite what you’re seeing, but that’s how it will work once this is fixed.

OK, got it. Thanks for the quick reply! :smiley:

This bug has actually worked out really well for me, LOL. I get the extra space that I was looking for between scenes and after titles. Is there a way I can duplicate this effect once this bug is fixed? I’ve tried using the “empty line” text separator, but that gives me a single-spaced line when the rest of my doc is double-spaced. I can make it work by doing a “select all” in Word and then changing the spacing of the entire doc to 2.0, but it’d be great if I could just have Scrivener compile the way it does with this bug.

You bet. We’ll fix the “empty line” bug that’s making it not use the right spacing. :slight_smile: (It’s on the list as well.)

Awesome, thank you!

Hi! I was disappointed that this one doesn’t seem to have been fixed in the commercial version? It is really a pain in the #$% going thru my 200±page manuscript deleting these puppies manually…

Thanks for any feedback on status of this bug and best regards,
Linda

The bug whereby an extra space was added when using the “single return” separator was fixed for 1.0. Double-check that in Compile under the “Separators” pane you’re set to use that rather than “empty line”, and if that’s correct, try checking to see if an empty-line title prefix or suffix is being added for your documents. In the “Formatting” pane of Compile, click on the text document row in the table (I’m assuming these extra spaces are coming up between normal single documents–the icon here int he table should match the one in the binder for the type of document where this is an issue), then click “Modify” and “Title Settings…” If you see a blue carriage return character in either the “Prefix” or “Suffix” field there, delete it, and then try compiling again.

I get an extra line of space if I copy text straight from the editor rather than I use compile. I tend to copy straight from editor when composing discussion/long forum posts.