Extra space for inline annotation/footnate?

each space at the beginning and the end of an inline annotation/footnote would make it more readable and better looking. anybody support this proposal?

What about spell/grammar check? Anyone?

This is an existing feature, isn’t it?

You can add as much additional space to the beginning and end of inline notation as you want. It’s stripped during compile for most formats, e.g. when compiling to RTF with the annotations as comments. Spaces will stay in the inline annotations for formats that print them inline, like PDF, but you can enable “converter multiple spaces to single space” in the compile Transformations to clean that up if you like.

It’s best to start a new thread with a new topic, so that it’s easier for people to find and answer.

Scrivener uses the Mac OS X dictionary tool for grammar and spell checking. You can set the defaults in the Corrections section of Scrivener > Preferences and toggle them per project or run the spell check via the Edit > Spelling and Grammar submenu.

Thanks for the explanation! But please consider this situation: if the users are supposed to add extra spaces themselves, why cannot it solve this problem at the rendition layer? I mean, what I wanted is not physical spaces, but the white spaces when it’s displayed.

From the rendering engine’s point of view, though, inline annotations are just formatted text. How is it supposed to know that some (not all) users want to put extra white space around it?

Katherine

Katherine, sure of course, the rendering enginer will never know, but the programmer or the designer should know. Take a look at the following comparison: which one is better? Programmers or designers should make right decision for their users.
Screen Shot 2014-11-24 at 09.27.15.png

Sorry didn’t want to bring up a new topic. Just a snide remark to a misspelled and incomprehensible post.

You’re missing my point. In order to add the white space you want, there needs to be a way to tell the rendering engine “inline annotations are different from all other text, and need to be rendered differently (assuming the user option is set to do so), but by kerning rather than adding extra spaces.” That’s not actually all that easy to do, especially given that the Scrivener editor is fundamentally a rich text editor, NOT a WYSIWYG word processor. It’s a matter of creating a new layout capability from scratch, not just adding a couple of hooks to something that already exists.

Katherine

For Keyboard Maestro users, I’ve attached a macro that replaces the default Shift-Cmd-A annotation with one that contains space padding. I recommend storing it in a macro folder that is scoped to Scrivener, as the hotkey will be global, otherwise.
14328849-Keyboard_Maestro-Scrivener-well_spaced_annotation.zip (1001 Bytes)