Extra spaces between lines in some pars of imported text

Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere, I’ve found similar but not the same.

I’ ve imported the whole text of my book from Google Docs but some paragraphs have extra spaces between lines,

I’ve tried highlighting the whole text and making it double-spaced (which is what I want) but it doesn’t get rid of the extra space.

I’ve also tried looking for hidden characters and can’t find anything.

Can anyone help? Thank you!

Are these extra spaces in the Scrivener editor, or in the compiled output document?

Is there any special formatting in the problem lines, such as subscripts or superscripts?

Katherine

Hi Katherine, thanks for replying. I never use superscripts so it’s not that. I imported the text from Google Docs and the issue is arising within Scrivener. The only way I can find round it is pasting it into Word and removing them then putting it back in, but that’s going to take a long time for the whole 75,000 words.

The View → Text Editing → Show Invisibles command will expose “white space” formatting. If you’ve already tried that and that’s not it, you can use the Documents → Convert → Text to Default Formatting to normalize the text to whatever your project-wide default is.

If that still doesn’t help, use the Format → Paragraph → Line and Paragraph spacing to set the spacing you want. Once you’ve formatted one paragraph to work the way you want, you can use the Project → Project Settings → Formatting pane to make it the default for this project, or Scrivener → Scrivener Preferences → Editing → Formatting to make it the default Scrivener-wide.

Then, the Documents → Convert → Text to Default Formatting command will reformat existing text to the new default.

For future reference, the Edit → Paste and Match Style command is your friend.

Katherine