Failed to move scrivener files to new PC via OneDrive/now no access to original files! URGENT HELP

I attempted to move the project file and back up file to my new PC using OneDrive as I have with my other docs. I have the scrivener files on OneDrive but cannot get them to operate on the new PC. I can open up an outline file but it shows no content in my folders. I don’t want to loose my book of 10 years work. Ideally, I get the files working on my new PC but will accept getting the files to work on my old laptop. I cannot seem to recreate the pathway for that to happen either. I’m not very computer savy so I need help. thanks.
Christian

When you say you moved the Project file, which file did you move?

The ‘file’ to move is the entire .scriv folder. You open the .scrivx file in Win Scrivener but without the entire folder and all subs you won’t have most of your content.

The other thing to be very cautious about with cloud drives is that everything is complete before disconnecting/shutting down. I’ve seen instances of cloud drives showing a copy or synch complete even though there are still tasks being finalised.

I moved the file types Scrivener Project and Back up (extension 13117.bak4) to OneDrive then I couldn’t find where I copied them from my old PC but written down the file location but had to recreate the path to make scrivener work on my pc…didn’t work either. I searched for the .scriv folder and cant find it but did find older files from a prior project. I’m a bit lost. thanks for your help.

I now have an older Scrivener project working on my both of my computers off OneDrive. Id like to get the more recent project file and the most recent back ups to work. Shall I assume the higher number with the .bak extension is the latest?
They are zip files. How do I combine the project and back up files to work together? Thank you.

Repeating NoHope’s question:
Did you move the whole projectname.scriv folder? With all its files and subfolders?
If you have zip files, have you un-zipped them?

No backups, of a “book of 10 years work”?

I moved the current .scriv file folder to OneDrive. It contains Settings,DCMI, FIles which include Word docs and ProjectNotes, I have not been able to open that project in Scrivener yet. I can at least see the docs I updated since the older project version I am able to open. I don’t however find the file type labeled Scrivener Project in that folder. I find a Scrivener Project file in the older folder which does open the older file in the program.

There should not be any Word documents inside the .scriv folder. Scrivener’s native format is RTF. Could you send a screenshot of the file structure?

Katherine

Attached are the word docs in my project folder

Those aren’t “Word” files. They’re rich text (RTF) files. Word is one of many applications that can open them. (In other words, you have exactly what I would expect to see, which is good news.)

Is OneDrive configured to store everything locally, or just in the cloud? I’m not sure what Microsoft calls the option, but probably something like “on demand storage” or “optimize storage” or “save disk space.”

Does the project still work on the original PC?

Katherine

Thanks Katherine for clarifying the word docs.

OneDrive is storing the files in the cloud.

I can open and operate a three year old .scriv folder that includes a scrivener project file in it. The most current project folder when opened does not include the content outlined in the Binder. It’s not in its original location as I saved it elsewhere. The name of the current files does not show up in Recent Projects either.

Is OneDrive storing the files only in the cloud? If so, that’s the issue, as they aren’t downloading fast enough to display when you open them in Scrivener.

Recent Projects is not a good guide to what is and is not present on the computer. Too many things can change that list. Have you tried opening the project directly from Windows Explorer?

Since the files are obviously there – in the screenshot you posted – one thing to try is to create a new blank project and import the old one into it.

Katherine

In the screenshot posted, the OP has the project files stored only in the cloud, not locally. (That’s what the empty blue cloud outline means).

OP, make sure that Scrivener is closed. Then, right-click on the “Practicing Self-love manuscript” folder and select the “Always keep on this device” option. It will ask if you want to do this for all of the files underneath and you should say yes.

The folder should now have a checkmark beside the “Always keep on this device” option, and OneDrive should swing into action, creating local copies of all those files on your hard drive.

Once OneDrive is done, view the Scrivener project folder in your Explorer window. The Status column should now have a solid green circle with a white checkmark in it (if that’s not the symbol yet, you need to keep waiting). This is how you ALWAYS want to have all of your Scrivener projects if you are going to be editing them via OneDrive. This option tells OneDrive to ALWAYS keep the local copy and cloud copy up to date, and to make sure that you actually have a full local copy. OneDrive tries to be helpful and save room on your machine and only create stubs to the various files so it can download them when you need them. This is fine for a Windows document, but not for a Scrivener project.

I recommend that you create a single folder underneath the root OneDrive folder (call it whatever you life, I suggest something short and descriptive like “Scrivener”) and set this setting on this folder. Then, store your Scrivener projects inside this folder. This way, any new projects you create already have this setting enabled – and you only have to set this setting one time on each machine that is accessing your OneDrive.

Kathrine–Your suggestion was brilliant! I created new project files on both my old and new computers. Both are working fine. As best I can tell, I have everything intact. I built the new file in OneDrive so it will be saved automatically and shared on my laptop when I work remotely.
Unless I find something unusual, my need for help on this topic is complete.
Thank you for your patience and service.
–Christian