Fake footnotes in DOCX compile [split from 1.8.0.0 Released]

FOOTNOTES IN WORD FILES COMPILED DIRECTLY TO DOCX (NOT TO DOC) USING 1.8.0.0 ARE NOT “REAL” FOOTNOTES!
This may be off-topic and I don’t want to appear to be raining on the 1.8.0.0 parade (particularly because one of the fixes was to a footnote-formatting bug that I apparently had been the first to encounter, so that I enjoyed a totally undeserved feeling of ownership when I saw that it had now been addressed); however, I have noticed a bug in compiling that never occurred before I updated to 1.8.0.0. Of course, that may be because this was the first time I had been able to compile directly to docx, rather than to doc and then updating to docx, because Scrivener always glitched out when I tried it pre-1.8.0.0. So, if this is a general Scrivener-to-docx problem, rather than a 1.8.0.0 problem, just let me know and I will peddle it elsewhere.

So, to make a long story short, when I compiled my project last night (for a deadline at midnight–yes, I know, what the hell was I waiting for?–but be that as it may) I was elated to be able to compile it directly to docx. So, after working contentedly but with determination because the clock was running, substituting short citation forms in second appearances, inserting cross-references to the first appearances, etc., I suddenly realized that my footnotes were not real footnotes. What tipped me off was that I had, in my first pass through the file, noticed that I had failed to mark a footnote as a footnote, so it was still in the text. No problem: I cut the data from the text and pasted it into a new footnote and moved on. Later, when I encountered that footnote, I realized that it was footnote 1, even though it was between footnotes 233 and 234. I looked closer (a little bleary-eyed by this time) and was that the surrounding footnotes referents, unlike the referent for footnote 1, which I added in Word, did not have the faint rectangle around the number. Also, when I deleted, for example, footnote 234, footnote 235 did not become 234, and so on. They are not footnotes. I have since been able to consistently reproduce the error, on different computers, with different presets, but only when I compile directly to docx. What’s the deal?

This is a limitation of the DOCX converter you’re using. Prior to 1.8, Scrivener defaulted to using a converter that accesses the Microsoft Office libraries for conversion to DOCX, which produces footnotes in Word the same as a straight RTF compile. Unfortunately that converter was causing problems on some systems, namely those with Microsoft Office 365 installed, so in 1.8 we switched the default away from that to avoid users experiencing what you did, that the compile would hang or glitch out in various ways.

Compiling to RTF or to DOC using the default RTF-Based converters will give you the editable footnote style you’re after, so if you stick with that you shouldn’t run into trouble. If you’re tweaking formatting and citations after compile anyway, re-saving at that point to DOCX shouldn’t be too much extra hassle.

Thank you, MM. I will do as you suggest.

However, to proceed beyond grading and move toward publication, I must have real, fully functiionaI footnotes, so I need to cure the problem I created by compiling to docx: I have extensively edited the Word file, so I can’t just re-compile. When I copy the revised text back into my project, the footnote text becomes inline footnote text, but the fake footnote referents go with them. I cannot search and replace superscript text in Scrivener and, when I try to do so in the recompiled Word file, the real footnote referents are selected by the search for superscript text and would be deleted with the fakes. Any suggestions?

Please disregard my last reply. I have submitted a support email, so I don’t want to monopolize the time of two support personnel–particularly when you must have a lot of people trying to get their problems resolved before you break for the holidays. Take care.