Fastest way to open / find the right window of all open projects?

I have different projects open. With all the additionally windows of a single project being open as well it takes some time to get that window on top one wants to edit in. What is the fastest / easiest way to find / open the right window?

Windows itself can probably help a good deal here, as it has better ways of switching between windows of a single program than it used to in the past.

As for Scrivener itself though, the Window menu is set up for that task. Each project will be at the bottom of the list, and all Quick Reference windows will be organised into their own section as well.

Thank you .

As for Scrivener itself though, the Window menu is set up for that task. Each project will be at the bottom of the list, and all Quick Reference windows will be organised into their own section as well.

Do you mean this(?):

Is there a (global) shortcut to get here / to get that menu on top?

How can I post an image here?

A link to an image, I mean.

Finally, you don’t need to link images, but can just upload them using the icon above to the left of the bulleted list icon. I’ll let someone else tell you if posting linked images is possible, but I haven’t found it and am glad to not need it.

1 Like

The menus all have shortcuts, in a manner of speaking, like all Windows software does: tap Alt and then the underlined letter to access the menu (‘W’ in tihs case). Note that you can use the UpArrow from the very top of that menu to jump to the bottom, but you might want to combine the Alt,W with the mouse for efficient switching.

If you’re a brand new user then you can’t upload images. It shouldn’t take long to get past that stage though, and once you do, you’ll find an upload icon in the toolbar above the composing area, directly to the left of the button that makes bullet lists.

That aside, you can link to offsite images as well, using regular Markdown like so:

![Hover/alt text](URL)

Thank you Charlson.

The menus all have shortcuts, in a manner of speaking, like all Windows software does: tap Alt and then the underlined letter to access the menu (‘W’ in tihs case). Note that you can use the UpArrow from the very top of that menu to jump to the bottom, but you might want to combine the Alt,W with the mouse for efficient switching.

Yes, thank you, but that is too inconvenient for me (you have to find that project first). And you first have to get Scrivener on top. So there is no global (working when Scrivener is not on top) shortcut, I assume.

OK, I do not want to upload images to this forum. Just link them here. So I have to remember that code? And write it down each time? Isn’t there an icon / button or such like it is in other fourms?

Isn’t that more of a Windows navigation issue? And visibility depends on how your Windows displays stuff?
My system bar looks like this:

So I have 4 projects open and getting to them is just one click on the bar.
Alternatively, if you have the “BIG ICON” or other grouped-windows setting in your system, try Alt+Tab combination? This allows you to switch between Windows applications quickly. Going Alt+Tab and then pressing Tab repeatedly gets you to the needed window. For me it looks like this:

1 Like

Yes, the same here:
Hover/alt text
Four or five projects and some more windows. But each time to search the project and open it is enoying for me.
Yes, ALT+TAB I use all the time, same look here. Just press the ALT+TAB or ALT+SHIFT+TAB (backwards) once, then use the mouse pointer to choose / close the icon / program. That works quite well. But I redundantly have to search for the right window of a project to always bring to the top just to add an idea / sentence, etc. Just doing it by pressing a shortcut would be much more easier for me.

Then maybe you have to use an external, windows-related utility to manage this?
Not sure how a shortcut in Scrivener could work when you have another application opened…
At the same time, I’m a pretty heavy keyboard user, so for me going alt-tab and THEN clicking with the mouse is unnatural :wink: I go alt-tab and tab as many times as I need to get to the right window.
Not sure what you mean by “search and open it” - aren’t these projects already opened? Alt-tab (tab tab tab…) should just switch to the right window, so no opening needed.

And… If you have that many projects opened at the same time, how do you want to pick the right one that you wish to edit? How would the shortcut usage help with it? Is it the same main project every time? If so, maybe giving it a good, distinctive name would help? “MAIN PROJECT” in caps, to make sure it stands out visually?

Mine are “ZCU T2”, “ZCU T1” etc, since they are parts of a series (ZCU being title abbreviation), and they are distinctive enough for me to easily switch to them.

If there is any, yes, why not.

Not sure what you mean by “search and open it” - aren’t these projects already opened?

Sorry for the wrong word. Yes, they are. Find the window represented in the list / icons / symbols (on your screenshots) you want to get to the top, so show it / open the window / bring it to the top over all the other programs.

Alt-tab (tab tab tab…) should just switch to the right window, so no opening needed.

Yes, that works. But if there are e.g 30, 40, 50 symbols it is enoying for me to search for the right symbol of the window I want to get to the top. So I would not like to 40 times press the TAB key to get to the window / program needed.

And… If you have that many projects opened at the same time, how do you want to pick the right one that you wish to edit?

Ah yes, this exactly is my question.

How would the shortcut usage help with it?

Well, one presses a shortcut and the window needed goes to the top.

Is it the same main project every time?

Yes, and the same projects for a long time.

If so, maybe giving it a good, distinctive name would help? “MAIN PROJECT” in caps, to make sure it stands out visually?
Yes, may be even better a symbol. The windows belonging to the same projects are scattered over the list (e.g. shown while hovering the pointer of the Scrivener symbol in the tray), they are not next to each other. So if have open 10 projects it would be quite confusing here.

Mine are “ZCU T2”, “ZCU T1” etc, since they are parts of a series (ZCU being title abbreviation), and they are distinctive enough for me to easily switch to them.

Yes, I permanently switch between the projects being open, so this way would be enoying to me as well, I am afraid.

OK, I see the difference in use - for each of my projects I have ONE icon/one window on alt-tab list. So for me, 3 projects opened means 3 alt-tab(s) or 3 icons on the system bar. When I have 10 projects open, I can still see them all easily and cleanly in my alt-tab list:

You have each separate document/window/etc visible on system level (opened through Quick Reference, right?), which means each project produces multiple icons/windows to look through.
Then probably finding some external utility that allows you to bind a keystroke to “activate window X” might be the only solution…

Hi Brix,

As already mentioned, PC-wide Windows management is a Windows thing, not a Scrivener thing. You won’t find a solution to this in Scrivener, because it’s not Scrivener’s job.

But–it does sound like something for which you could write an AutoHotKey script to create a hotkey. Press Alt+F8 (or whatever) and your main Scriv project becomes the active window.

If you have any experience with a scripting utility like that or you are fairly technical or adventurous, you might want to take a look at autohotkey.com. A number of posters here use it to automate or otherwise improve their PC lives. :sunglasses:

Best,
Jim

And if writing an AutoHotKey script seems like too much, and Alt+Tab seems like too much, then there’s one other thing you can try to manage your many windows from the task bar. ( @srebrnafh mentioned something like this, but not exactly).

I’ve assumed you’re up-to-date on Windows 10. Try this:

1. Change your Windows Taskbar setting Combine taskbar buttons to Always, hide labels.
  2. Right-click on the Scrivener icon on the Taskbar and select Pin to Taskbar.

Now your single Scrivener icon will always be in the same place on the Taskbar. Hover over that one Scrivener icon on your Taskbar and you’ll see something like this:

If you always return to the same project(s), then there it (they) will always be.

Best,
Jim

Hello Jim,

Many thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I do not have said skills / characteristics, I’m glad being able to cope with scrivener more or less, repectively less.

Yes, Scrivener-wide windows management would be enough, I guess.

When I click in Scrivener’s “Window” menu an item at the bottom, on a project, it comes to the top minimized instead of maximized like I had left it. So I each time have to maximize it again, very enoying. Is there an option / way to stop that?

Yes, that is right, newest Windows.

Many thanks for the instruction. Always the same places would be good, alright, I will try it in everyday life.

Many thanks again!

This might not work the same, since when the OP opens a lot of sub-documents as Quick Reference (which is what I’m inferring from the screenshot of the icons), it will bring all projects (main windows) AND their sub-windows under one icon. Which will make them all show when you click/hover
For me it looks like this, with only a handful of additional documents opened:

However if the projects are opened in a chosen order, this might ensure that the “main project” will always be the first on the left, which may make this the best possible solution :slight_smile: (that is, unless someone hates the grouping of applications with the same passion as I do ;))

I just did a quick google on that, and found an answer in the link below. Try Method #2. I hope it works for you.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-keep-a-window-always-maximized/da9bfc76-92ad-4e75-aa85-b9e569a6b122?auth=1

Best,
Jim

1 Like

Interesting. When I took the screenshot in my post I had at least one Quick Ref open. But it was minimized, so maybe that makes a difference?

Yeah, me too!

1 Like