faulty mmd produced through "Convert" menu

There is a reproducible bug in how Scrivener produces mmd mark-up for italics and bold text through the Format -> Convert command in the menu bar.

If the closing asterix (*) are preceded by whitespace, mmd does not recognise them as proper mark-up and in consequence, Scrivener produces faulty text decorations upon compiling to RTF or DOCX etc. Yet, such trailing whitespaces are common if one starts writing in a WYSIWYG editor, as a bold or italic whitespace are necessarily indiscernible for the eye. Unfortunately, such whitespaces are not corrected upon automatically converting texts to mmd. This is issue was noted in passing by a rather old post dating to 2008 ([url]https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/a-few-export-questions/3439/2]).

This in itself wouldn’t be too worrying, if there was a way to search a text for faulty mmd, but at least within Scrivener this cannot be accomplished. One cannot search for every second asterix that is preceded by a whitespace.

All the best,

Till

Hi,

Yes, this isn’t actually considered a bug but rather a limitation of the differences between Scrivener’s rich text system and MMD - this is why this option is in the Convert menu rather than in Compile, so that users can clean up the position of asterisks as needed. This may, however, be improved in the future, as the code that does the conversions is several years old and I have learned a lot of tricks since then. :slight_smile: Indeed, my plan is to eventually get rid of this option and offer it instead in the Compile menu if I can get it right.

All the best,
Keith

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the quick reply. As I need italics to persist no matter what happens for quotes from languages different from the main language of writing, I decided to go for mmd in these cases. Unfortunately, I did so in the midst of a longer book project and thus encountered a lot of issues with the “convert” command. To my relief, I also discovered since the option to search using regex, which eases the job of manually correcting the wrong mmd substantially.

All the best,

Till